GS550 -- can't hold its gas!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 -- can't hold its gas!!!!

1982 GS550LZ. To begin...the carbs do need cleaning. The carb has been leaking on bowl #2. But now when I leave the bike for a while and come back i have a nice big puddle of gas under the engine. Finally saw where it was coming from today. I can actually see a drip of gas coming off the head right at the #1 exhaust port and the head is wet with gas around valve covers too. My thoughts were that carbs were just gummed up and allowing gas to flow through to the cylinders and then flooding them as they sit there.......but I'm not intensely skilled in the ways of carbs. I need help!

Thanks for the help
    Curt

I'd bet you have a rotten fuel line, or a rust hole in the tank. If gas is leaking from above the problem isn't the carbs.

Comment

If the leak is happening with the engine off, my first inclination would be to check the fuel petcock. If the petcock is suck in the on position, then gas will flow to the carbs with the engine off. To check this, pull the fuel line with the engine off and see if fuel is flowing. If it is, then the petcock is bad. You can repair it or add an 'off' position. - Do a search for this info.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
        If the leak is happening with the engine off, my first inclination would be to check the fuel petcock. If the petcock is suck in the on position, then gas will flow to the carbs with the engine off. To check this, pull the fuel line with the engine off and see if fuel is flowing. If it is, then the petcock is bad. You can repair it or add an 'off' position. - Do a search for this info.
        I'll second that. Rebuild your petcock, its pretty cheap and kits are available. Again, make sure its not stuck on "prime" if it has that setting.

Comment

Watch out for hot exhaust pipes when you go playing with that fuel line. Made that mistake recently...

Michael

Comment

If yours is a vacuum operated petcock, fuel could also be leaking through the vacuum line due to a holed diaphram. I fixed that by replacing the original petcock with a new Suzuki petcock.

Comment

Working...
            X