A bit rich I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit rich I think

I have now been running my GS 550L with its mods ( Pods and stage 3 Kit) for a week or two and while generally running fine with lots more grunt! I think its running a bit rich and seek some advice. The plugs on 1,2,and 3 cylinders are very dark and No. 4 looks ok. At up to 5000 rpm it runs fine but when I give it some stick after this it seems to stutter a bit and when I back off it picks up again.
    I originally fitted the needle clips at 4 from the top and the air screws( top of carb on inlet) are 3 turns out.

To keep it simple I am thinking about raising the clips a notch.

Would this be a good starting point?

Thanks for your help in the past and look forward to your replies now.

Martin

Scotland

I am NOT a carb expert but you may need to go to a smaller main jet FOR info go to

Check the tuning info

Comment

Re: A bit rich I think

Assuming you have the same size jets in all four carbs if 1,2 and 3 are black and 4 is normal, then it is possible to synchronize the carbs with the same settings and vacuum that is on 4. I would synch the carbs first.
      The problem may not be jetting, but setup and tuning.

Earl

Originally posted by runnersleep
      I have now been running my GS 550L with its mods ( Pods and stage 3 Kit) for a week or two and while generally running fine with lots more grunt! I think its running a bit rich and seek some advice. The plugs on 1,2,and 3 cylinders are very dark and No. 4 looks ok. At up to 5000 rpm it runs fine but when I give it some stick after this it seems to stutter a bit and when I back off it picks up again.
      I originally fitted the needle clips at 4 from the top and the air screws( top of carb on inlet) are 3 turns out.

To keep it simple I am thinking about raising the clips a notch.

Would this be a good starting point?

Thanks for your help in the past and look forward to your replies now.

Martin

Scotland
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

what year is the bike?

4 notches on the needle seems like a lot...i had only 2 up or 2 down on my 79.

if you have a 77-79, you can try leaning out the pilot screws 1/4 turn, if you have a 80+ you can try leaning out the mixture screw 1/4 turn in.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          I am NOT a carb expert but you may need to go to a smaller main jet FOR info go to

Check the tuning info
          http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html will avoid the frames.

Comment

Thanks for the info Guys.

I checked out the info from the factorypro site - lots to go on there.

Adam, My bike is a 1981 model with mikuni bs32s carbs - Is it the same as yours?. What needle setting did you use for your initial set up.

As for the main jets, I used the 150 size. The kit also came with 155`s.

Can you clarify which one is the mixture screw - Is it the one on top near the inlet manifold - I set that one at 3 turns out

Regards

Martin

Comment

Martin, my bike is a 79, so i have the older VM type carbs, whereas you have the (i'm having a braincramp...) CV carbs.

you only have one mixture screw...which helps dial in the air/fuel mixture going into the engine...it is the screw located near the carb boot, towards the front of the bike if you're sitting on it.

3 turns out seems like too much...it will cause it to run rich. tighten them down 1 turn, so you have 2 turns out and see how it runs then.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
              X