Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield/Cowling for an 83GS750E??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield/Cowling for an 83GS750E??????

I'm the 3rd owner of the bike.
    Stock cowling, light and instraments got smashed by the 2nd owners Ex weilding a hammer.
    He replaced the cowling with a Maier Cafe cowling and got the light and instraments from ebay...but married the girl.?

2 weeks ago some idiot at work knocked my bike over and broke the windscreen.

2 weeks and 3 emails to Maier asking if the sell replacment parts and still no answer.

Any suggestions for a front end?
    90% of the cowlings I'm seeing online are for bikes with round headlights.

I did see this on an 1100 in the gallery...

Was wondering what cowling that was and how hard it was to put on?

Any sugestions would be great....its a wee bit drafty with no windshiled at all

Cowling stock:

Windscreen:

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Hope they help
    Kenny

Comment

SWEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Thanks Kenny.

Comment

Ok, I called Air-Tech.
        They dont have one for the 750E only the 750ESD.
        E attaches to the bars and forks, ES(D) forks go through the cowling.
        BUT....
        They do have one for the 550E
        Now I look at the gallery pics and the 550E cowling looks just like the 750E cowling.
        Can anyone confirm if they are in fact the same? or even compatible?

Comment

I have a 550E(f), small fairing. It is similar to the 700/750, but it is different. Might fit though....

Look in the Gallary at the 1983's.

Kenny

Comment

Sometimes you can find the ES fairings on Ebay, complete with mounting brackets. They bolt up to threaded holes in the frame near the tank, and the holes are the same on both the E and ES bikes. In the last 18 months, I've yet to see an E fairing on Ebay...

There aren't many aftermarket manufacturers of square headling fairings. My advice would be to find something you like (if you're going with aftermarket), and just change out the headlight if it takes a round one.

Used headlight assemblies are dirt cheap on Ebay, and generic mounting ears are cheap as well. I'm about to swap out the light and fairing on my '83 750E in favor of a round unit, but will probably hang on to the stock fairing in case I ever want to sell the bike.

The stock E fairing offers absolutely no wind protection at all - it's basically there to hide the instruments and the over-engineered headlight bracket. I'm going with a cheap cafe fairing - much easier to replace if it gets damaged, and a taller screen for better wind protection.

If you're looking to spend alot of money, check out www.powerbronze.co.uk - they make several full fairings for GS bikes, both sport and touring models. They're pricey, but you shouldn't have to pay shipping direct from the UK - their cowlings and fender eliminators are pretty popular over here, so there are distributors nation wide.

Good luck,

Q!

Comment

+what color fairing are you looking for.i turned my 83 e into an es so i have a complete second set of bodywork for an 83 750 e

Comment

Thats some good info, thanks guys....good to know I can take the ES fairing option if I want.

As for my colours, bike is stock Grey with Blue on the pannle.
                But this spring I think thats all going to change.

As soon as I get my web space setup I'll post a pick of my bike...mind you its before it got knocked over so it still has its Maier cafe cowling intact.

Comment

Working...
                X