Front brakes and starter problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brakes and starter problems.

When I apply the front brake it sometimes feels really hard like the lever is sticking or there is an obstruction in the line. It doesn't happen all the time but definatly enough to annoy the heck out of me. They still apply when this happens but it makes me nervous because I'm worried that if I pull hard on the lever it might lock up suddenly and of course that would suk. Also, when I go out and ride for any length of time and get the bike warmed up to operating temps if I park it somewhere and try to restart it it is like the battery is dead. When it is cold it starts no problem, only gives trouble when hot. I tried taking the starter apart and tested everything, cleaned up the surfaces that the contacts ride on and put it all back together. Seamed to help a little for a day or 2 then it went back too the hot start problem. What am I missing here? I have an 81 GS750L. I have all new Electrex R/R, stator, checked all wiring connections and had the battery specific gravity and load tested. Totally at a loss here. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

So nobody even has a guess?! C'mon, little help here please, I'm at a total loss. Somebody has to have some sort of ideas.

Comment

Re: Front brakes and starter problems.

With the front brake, I see three possibilities. Obstruction in the brake line or need new line. Brake pucks and piston in the caliper are gunked up and need cleaning. Or the problem I had of hard front brake. Linings glazed and at times it required extreme brake pressure to get sufficient stopping power. You could try cleaning the pads with pad cleaner or just replace them as I did.

BY "seems like battery is dead", do you mean you hit the starter button and there is nothing, not even a click? If that is the case, I had that problem intermittantly and it turned out to be a faulty interlock switch on the clutch lever. (the little switch on the underside of the clutch lever) You could try going into the headlight nacelle and temporarily jumping the connections to see if this is the problem

Earl

[quote:09f07ad1d3="krabysniper"]When I apply the front brake it sometimes feels really hard like the lever is sticking or there is an obstruction in the line. It doesn't happen all the time but definatly enough to annoy the heck out of me. They still apply when this happens but it makes me nervous because I'm worried that if I pull hard on the lever it might lock up suddenly and of course that would suk. Also, when I go out and ride for any length of time and get the bike warmed up to operating temps if I park it somewhere and try to restart it it is like the battery is dead. When it is cold it starts no problem, only gives trouble when hot. I tried taking the starter apart and tested everything, cleaned up the surfaces that the contacts ride on and put it all back together. Seamed to help a little for a day or 2 then it went back too the hot start problem. What am I missing here? I have an 81 GS750L. I have all new Electrex R/R, stator, checked all wiring connections and had the battery specific gravity and load tested. Totally at a loss here. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.[/quote:
      09f07ad1d3]
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: Front brakes and starter problems.

Thanks for the ideas on the brakes. As far as the battery, no, it's not like there is nothing there at all, it turns over very hard like the battery is almost dead. It will bump start very easily, but that is rather embarising when out with the guys. Like I said, cold in the morning fires right over, once warmed up, turns over very slow like almost dead battery.
        Originally posted by earlfor
        With the front brake, I see three possibilities. Obstruction in the brake line or need new line. Brake pucks and piston in the caliper are gunked up and need cleaning. Or the problem I had of hard front brake. Linings glazed and at times it required extreme brake pressure to get sufficient stopping power. You could try cleaning the pads with pad cleaner or just replace them as I did.

BY "seems like battery is dead", do you mean you hit the starter button and there is nothing, not even a click? If that is the case, I had that problem intermittantly and it turned out to be a faulty interlock switch on the clutch lever. (the little switch on the underside of the clutch lever) You could try going into the headlight nacelle and temporarily jumping the connections to see if this is the problem

Earl

Originally posted by krabysniper
        When I apply the front brake it sometimes feels really hard like the lever is sticking or there is an obstruction in the line. It doesn't happen all the time but definatly enough to annoy the heck out of me. They still apply when this happens but it makes me nervous because I'm worried that if I pull hard on the lever it might lock up suddenly and of course that would suk. Also, when I go out and ride for any length of time and get the bike warmed up to operating temps if I park it somewhere and try to restart it it is like the battery is dead. When it is cold it starts no problem, only gives trouble when hot. I tried taking the starter apart and tested everything, c
        leaned up the surfaces that the contacts ride on and put it all back together. Seamed to help a little for a day or 2 then it went back too the hot start problem. What am I missing here? I have an 81 GS750L. I have all new Electrex R/R, stator, checked all wiring connections and had the battery specific gravity and load tested. Totally at a loss here. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comment

too hot

the starter problem you are having sounds like what happens when headers are installed on cars. the heat makes them not want to turn over. i don't know the reason for it but i know the automotive solution is to wrap it with an insulated heat sheild. i am rather new to bikes but i know it solves all problems on cars.

Trevor
          '85 GS700E
          "'77" CB550 Super Sport-for sale

Comment

Working...
          X