X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GEAR problems on a 1981's 650GSG

Hi everybody!

I am facing a problem with my 650GSG KATANA:

I cannot use the 2nd gear. When going down from 3rd to 2nd gear it runs perfectly well... no problem!... But when I am going up from 1st to 2nd gear, this gear is shifting automatically as soon as I open the throtle! :-(

This problem was always there and I talked recently with the previous owner... he had the same problem also and it does not seem to come from any accident as I opened the gearbox twice and never saw any dammage! :-(

As the 650GSG has a specific gearbox (due to the shaft)... Did anyone met such a problem? How to solve it?

Thanks for any hint!

Mike From France

If your transmission is an automatic then you may have a throttle valve or sensor that is bad. if you have a manual transmission you got serious problems.

Comment

Well... i did not know that GSG650 were equiped with automatic gear box... And mine is manual...

Indeed, this is really a problem... :-(

Mike Mordred From France

Comment

I wont quote that they came with an auto but I know that some japanese bikes came with them. not sure which models exactly.

Comment

Honda is the only make I -know- of that did that, they had a 750 and then a 400 automatic. I doooooon't think they were very successful, I wonder if others made even less famous forays??

Comment

Come on, you guys. No GS650, chain or shaft, has ever come out from Suzuki with an automatic. The only automatic I'm aware of by Suzuki was a GS400 or 450 twin -- forget which. Honda had a 400 or 450 and a 750.

MotoGuzzi had a 1000-cc automatic in the late 70's and early 80's -- the Convert. Didn't sell too many, and it was plagued with all kinds of problems, particularly the converter drive.

This is a very serious problem, Mike Mordred. I would do one of two things:

1. get in the transmission and replace gears, dogs, etc. or...

2. part out the bike, get yourself another GS650, and make one bike out of two. Sell what you don't use.

I've owned GS bikes for many years, about 18, and never have I had any transmission problems such as the one you describe. No transmission problem at all, of any kind.

Nick

Comment

My clymer manual describes a "transmission slips out of gear" problem that can be caused by worn engagement dogs, or a a damaged shifter. It also says the overshift travel of the selector may be misadjusted. All of that sounds simliar to the problem you having.

It also says "Worn or rounded engagement dogs will cause the transmission to fail to shift or to jump out of gear."

I have no experince with transmissions, so take it for what its worth.

Good Luck,

Terry

Comment

This is pretty much a question of funds and skill. If you have the skills necessary to fix you transmission the you can do so relatively inexpensively, however if you don't there's some mechanic about ready to put his kids through college. However if you are able to live with it I say ride it till it dies.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  Come on, you guys. No GS650, chain or shaft, has ever come out from Suzuki with an automatic. The only automatic I'm aware of by Suzuki was a GS400 or 450 twin -- forget which. Honda had a 400 or 450 and a 750.

Nick
                  thanx nick glad you clarified that

Comment

Thanks for this Info!

The situation is that the engine was "dismantled" twice, the shifting lever and all the pieces checked and/or machined in order to "improve" the situation... but the problem was not solved!

As it is very difficult to find spare parts by SUZUKI or even find some old GS650G, I cannot replace the transmission and I am "living" with this problem for a while now... Over 5 years in fact!

I bought a 650GSE last year in order to replace some of the engine parts which were broken (HUDGE dammages when a valve guide broke and when the exhaust valve "fall" in the cylinder!...)... But unfortunately, I did not find the gear box yet! :-(

I Keep trying! ;-)

Mike Mordred from France

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

gs650g gear box

try these:

http://search.ebay.de/search/search....m=R2&catref=C3 (=german ebay, search suzuki gs)

or

http://www.motorsloperij.nl/salvage.htm (=dutch salvage yard near amsterdam)

Comment

New imput!

I have heard (I read it in fact! ) somewhere on the Net that my problems may come from the shaft itself... which cannot assume the torque and shift the 2nd Gear to neutral!!! 8O

I am wondering why only with the 2nd gear? #-o

Is it possible?

How does a defect in the shaft appear when riding?

Mike Mordred From France

Comment

8O Some people don't know what they are talking about The shaft drive has nothing to do with it skipping second gear, You need to split the cases and replace second gear and its mating gear 5th? I say just use it as is Keep looking for a complete enging or parts bike

Comment

Working...
                            X