Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much will a shop charge to clean my carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much will a shop charge to clean my carbs?

I've got a GS650G with pretty nasty carbs. The bike still runs but isn't too happy about it and seems to display several of the symptoms of gunked up carbs. (at one point it sat with gas in it for 5 years)

I'd like to clean them myself but I'm not very confident in my skills so I'm thinking of taking them to a shop if it isn't out of my price range.

So...how much can I expect to pay a shop in New England to clean them for me?

I was at the local shop in Ottawa today and the price is about 70 bucks an hour, the bike junk yard here charges something like 40. Maybe you should contact some small engine shops if you are on a budget.

Steve

Comment

When I bought my GK in late 1999, I paid $152 labor for my mechanic, in independent shop owner, to clean the four carbs.

The carbs also needed parts to be replaced at that time. Intake boots, bowl gaskets, float valves, and miscellaneous carb parts -- for all four of them -- amounted to an additional $300 or so.

It was well worth it. It's been a perfect running for the four riding seasons I've had this GS1100GK.

Nick

Comment

Check out www.motorcyclecarbs.com for price, but I recall about $80 to $ 100 per carb body. I'd rather do it myself and do it right than pay someone else. And then I'd be better able to rejet my carbs when I have to get a new exhaust system.

Comment

Just follow the great carb cleaning web pages on this forum. You'll do just fine and be proud of yourself when you do. 8)

Comment

Just follow the great carb cleaning web pages on this forum. You'll do just fine and be proud of yourself when you do. 8)

Comment

$$$$$

'My' shop that go to charged me $40 for my 1150 carbs.....they had an old carb kit sitting on the shelf doing nothing but collecting dust (No demand for ancient 1150s' as of late)....so they dropped in new parts just to rid their shop of this thing gathering dust.
              Having a relationship with your local shop does indeed bring you rewards.
              Rick........

Comment

I think you'll find the shop will charge big bucks. The labor rates are murder. I'm sure you could do it yourself, just get a service manual and rebuild kit and take your time. Getting the carbs on and off the bike is a pain but cleaning them out isn't that difficult.

good luck,
                Debby
                1979 GS1000N
                2019 Kaw Z900RS
                plus a few more

Comment

Working...
                X