Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires, tubeless? Tube? Put them on yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdole
    I only change tires on the dirt bikes when I have too and never change the street bike tires.
    Ouch! Those are the worst! Especially when you have to deal with a 5.10x18 knobby with two rimlocks! :x
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

My procedure for changing tires is as follows. I ride to the motorcycle shop, go to the service counter and say. "Put a new set of tires on my bike." Then I get a ride home with a friend who has followed me to the shop. A few days later I get a ride back to the shop and there are the new tires all snuggled around the rims. Nothing to it.

I am not a man of expensive tastes. I don't gamble; I don't woo expensive women; I don't drive fancy automobiles; I don't take luxury cruises. But one extravagance I do indulge is having someone else put on my motorcycle tires.

I respect, indeed admire, those of you who do. But I have reached an age where frustration and bleeding knuckles are completely without appeal.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
        Originally posted by mdole
        I only change tires on the dirt bikes when I have too and never change the street bike tires.
        Ouch! Those are the worst! Especially when you have to deal with a 5.10x18 knobby with two rimlocks! :x
        Actually, on the trials bikes I have Akront rims on most of them so they were tubeless. The Fantic runs a tube because the rubber seal that seals the spoke has deteriorated enough to leak and a replacement isn?t available for the older Akront rims. The reason I don't change tires any more is that the Akront rims are a soft Aluminum alloy and really easy to damage with tire tools. The bikes run 4.50x18 rear Trials tires so they are pretty pliable but still have a really beefy sidewall to fight since they are tubeless tires.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
          I can do any job on a bike, anything but change a tyre.
          I've got the correct tyre levers, I've tried various lubricants, I just cannot do it!
          If I have to fit a tyre at home, my mate comes around and does it for me - with a teaspoon!
          If I'm out & I get a puncture, either I call the get you home service or use a puncture sealant/temp repair.
          I know, I'm holding my hand up I'm f****ng useless when it comes to tyres!
          Well, after reading all the posts I don't feel so bad about my inability to change a motorcycle tyre - I seem to be in good company!

Comment

Working...
          X