Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS850 vs. GS 1000/ parts interchangability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS850 vs. GS 1000/ parts interchangability?

I have (2) 78 GS 850 (GN?) parts bikes and was wondering if many/most parts might interchange with the 78 GS 1000?
    Front end? Wheels? Tank? Seat? etc.
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this matter.

I was a frequent poster back in 98>01 era. When I was rebuilding my 81 GS850L Lost touch and just rediscovered this great site!
    Thanks,
    Charlie

Welcome back 8) There are alot of parts that are the same and some that are different. GS850GN is 79 Model probably made late 78 Mfg date. Your GS1000 E????? Front wheel, forks, electrics,seat, tank gauges, brakes, some differences but interchangable. Rear wheel with drive shaft is different from chain drive model

Comment

Your GS1000 E????? Front wheel, forks, electrics,seat, tank gauges, brakes, some differences but interchangable. Rear wheel with drive shaft is different from chain drive model
      [/quote]

Thanks for the Welcome back!

As far as what model 78 GS1000. I have replied to a few requests of parts on this board for both the (78) GS850 and (78) GS1000. And was just trying to get a handle on possibility of parts fitting.

I will figure out exactly what I have and what model they have and post back.

You have answered my main question, that there is at least a good possibility of parts fitting.

BTW my (78's) are both shaft drive.

Thanks again!!
      Charlie

Comment

Welcome back.

I thought the shafts came in after 78? Anyway, many parts will interchange with trying.

Comment

He says he has two 850's, both 78. They're actually 79 models built in 78. The first shaftie 1000, the GS1000G, was a 1980 model.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
            He says he has two 850's, both 78. They're actually 79 models built in 78. The first shaftie 1000, the GS1000G, was a 1980 model.

Nick
            Thanks Nick,
            I checked with the fella that was interested in most of the parts listed in my first post. He said he had spokes/chain etc. which would coincide with your info. He did not know the specific model. Other than the driveline and wheels. If you know, Is it less likely that parts will interchange between a shaft 850 and non shaft 1000?

I go past Middletown exit on the way to visit my folks. If your ever in the mood for a joint ride. Drop me a PM. I plan on having my GS 850L on the road this week once I get some tuning issues sorted out with the help of the board. I will post probably tommorow when I am with the bike and can try suggestions.

Thanks, board is great! Good to be back.
            Charlie

Comment

The 1980 and 1981 GS850G is almost identical to the 1980 and 1981 GS1000G, the shaftie. Yes, the chain 1000 is less likely to interchange parts with an 850.

Energizer Bunny and Attila the Bunny and I "belong" to an informal group of long-time riding friends who ride a lot. We have Sunday rides, overnighters, week-long trips, all arranged via the internet.

Let me know your e-mail address and I'll put you on the mailing list.

Nick
              marinick@erols.com

Comment

e- mail

The 1980 and 1981 GS850G is almost identical to the 1980 and 1981 GS1000G, the shaftie. Yes, the chain 1000 is less likely to interchange parts with an 850.

Energizer Bunny and Attila the Bunny and I "belong" to an informal group of long-time riding friends who ride a lot. We have Sunday rides, overnighters, week-long trips, all arranged via the internet.

Let me know your e-mail address and I'll put you on the mailing list.

Nick
                marinick@erols.com
                morar@connext.net

I will send you a email also
                Charlie

Comment

Nick
                  Hy, my GS1000G is a 1979
                  Olivier

Comment

I beg to differ. Your GS1000G is a 1980, built in 1979. I'm assuming you're in North America.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                    X