Valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment

I'm about to do a valve adjustment on my '82 GS1100E. The manual says they should be set from .07-.12 mm or .003-.005 in. My .005 in feeler guage is also .127 mm. Is .127 mm actually too thick since it is almost .13 mm or is the .007mm not a big enough difference to worry about?
    Thanks,
    Billy Miles

Valve Clearence

Billy,

You could get away with a larger gap (vs. too little gap) and not cause mechanical damge. But why would you?
    If you're going to take the time to do the adjustment you really should adjust them for optimum performance. Go ahead and get a set of gauges that range from .02mm and up. In the long run you'll be glad you did.

Kurt

Comment

.005 inches is equal to .127 mm. So what I am asking is since the manual says that .005 inches is apropriate on the loose end, is the .127 actually correct. Or should I go with .12 mm which is actually 0.00472 inches. Basically is it best to go by mm or inches (since the manual specs don't equal out) or does it matter?

Thanks,
      Billy Miles

Comment

use the .005 and set it on the tight side and you will be ok. IT is better to have them a little loose than to tight

Comment

On the looser side is better. Tightened upp valves can burn out, looser ones make slightly more noise (with reason!)

Comment

My saying to set them on the tight side? was in reference to how much drag there would be with the .005 feeler gauge

Comment

Valve Clearance

Billy,

It looks like we've taken the long route to not really answering your question.
              Use mm when you can. Original Factory specs are calculated in mm. The in measurements are only there for the convenience of those of us who haven't converted to the metric system.
              The optimum clearance for your valves is 0.1mm.

Kurt

Comment

I use a guage under both ajusters on each lobe at the same time. You can cock the rocker somewhat giving a slightly false reading.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
                  I use a guage under both ajusters on each lobe at the same time. You can cock the rocker somewhat giving a slightly false reading.
                  That's a great idea. I always recheck the first valve after doing the second, but your idea would speed up the process and I can see where it would give better results. You should post that in the tips section.

Comment

Chris: How do you do that? I had to bend and cut up my feeler guage quite a bit just to make it fit under one of the screws. I can only imagine what I'd have to do to make it fit under both. 8O Or is it that you use 2 guages? I don't have enough hands for that!

Cheers, Steve

Comment

I use two guages. I use the kind most commonly used at bike shops. Around 6 inches long. Much easier to handle. I generally set mine on a tight 5 thou.

Comment

Working...
                      X