speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo

My gs850 just wont stop braking down. First it was blown head gasket, then bad carburators, and a electrical problem, which turned out to be rusted fuse holder.

I swear, I spend more time fixing it then riding. New problem:

I was riding some 150ml tonight, and on the way back I start hearing sound like two metals rubing, as the wheels spin. At first I thought one of my breaks locked, but no decrease in acceleration. Then I noticed that my speedo is all over the place and the sound would come and go in sync with speedos crazy movement.

It was too cold and dark to pull over, and I jsut wanted to get home. All of the sudden speedo nedle starts making full circles from zero to zero and back, and of course the needle breaks in half on the nedle rest. i just got home and havent even looked at it yet. I am planing on opening it tommorow and see how it works, but where the hell am I going to get just the needle?
    Is there some nice replacement speedo? I wouldnt mind one that goes past 85mph.

Any other suggestions, cautions on opening it or comments in general welcome.

Thanks

I've got an '82 GS1100E, so I also have the baby speedo. I've tried to buy a few '83 140mph speedos off ebay, even one NOS. No luck - they ultimately went for $100 or so. I don't know what your speedo would look like, but '83s the year.

Another option is a Sigma BC800 digital bicycle speedometer. It's the only bike speedo that really works for a motorcycle - I think it costs about $30-40. Max speed is about 165mph. There are instructions all over the net for motorcycle installation.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

You can also use a GPS as a speedo/odometer. A little picey, but you'll never get lost & it will impress your friends!

Comment

If anybody finds a shop that repairs Japanese instruments make sure you post it on this site somewhere. Cuz there is no such animal as far as I can tell! British, German, Italian, American no problem...Japanese???Forgetaboutit!

Comment

toolman don't forget to check where the cable attaches to the front wheel, and while your at it you might want to replace the speeedo cable.(just to eliminate any other probs down the road)

Comment

I have one from a 77GS750 that you can have--- use for parts It works but the housing is cracked. OR I have one (140mph) NOS for 79 GS1000LN $65+ shipping Look it up on BikeBandit and see If you think it would work ?? Send me a PM

Comment

Working...
            X