Cleaning the tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the tank...

Greetings everyone. I have another lame-brain question for you all.

Has anyone had any experience cleaning their tank with something like that "CLR" stuff? It takes out calcium lime and RUST so I was thinking I could use that over the KREEM kit. I really don't like the chemicals in the Kreem kit and I can't find a local seller of the POR-15 tank repair kit.
    I have a bid on some on ebay but i won't know if I won that for another week.
    I am in search of something I could use to clean the rust out of the inside of the tank that isn't going to rot away more of my brain with deadly fumes. I've had enough of THAT kinda fun just painting the bike.

Any suggestions and smacks in the back of my head are welcome.

Dm of mD

Some people have used vinegar, it's a mild acid. I tried it and did manage to get some stuff out with it.

Comment

Ah okay, I will try that this afternoon. If it works...whoooeeee!!! I'll be able to test-run the GS!!

Dm

Comment

ADD nuts and bolts and shake well until done

Comment

If you can, go with phosphoric acid - it does a better job of protecting the metal. Many autobody supply shops sell it.

Comment

Tank Kreem

I used the tank kreem on my 1979 750 and it worked great. The 1st stage is used in conjuction with water. The 1st stage cleans and etches every bit of rust off the tank and leaves behind a zinc oxide film (I think). I let mine set for 3 days. Then rinsed and applied stage 2 to get rid of all moisture and immediately applied stage three before flash rust occured. If you follow directions to the "T" eveything works out perfect. Have done it many times since with no problems.

Louie

Comment

I'm not dealing with the fumes from the "Kreem" kit.

Since I'm pretty much broke for the rest of this month, what I plan to do is follow the advice on this board and pick up some of that "Toilet bowl Acid Cleaner" from home depot and some "Simple Green"

1. I'll use the simple green to clean out the last bits of gas and oils out of the tank.
              2. I'll rinse it clean at the pressure sprayer at the car wash to get all of the simple green out.
              3. Then I'll put the toilet bowl cleaner in for 3 minutes...sloshing it around until the rust is gone.
              4. Then rinse again with pressure cleaner
              5. Make sure the tank is as dry on the inside as I can get it with a clean rag and blower.
              6. Reinstall petcock and fill with gas.

Does this sound good?
              Dm of mD

Comment

doesn't sound too bad

Sounds ok up to the point of fill it with fuel, the rust will keep reoccuring unless you keep it filled, you have to coat the exposed metal with something to prevent the oxidization (rust) whichs means keeping the oxygen away from bare metal.
                Short of some chemical coating I don't know what else to say, I was lucky when I did mine, I looked at all the options but ended up getting a deal from the palce that does our rads here at work. I brought the tank in and used a high pressure steam cleaner and thay coated the tank for $30.00. Time will tell how long it lasts....Mike

Comment

You could also try milkstone remover which is mostly phosphoric acid. Check www.tractorsupply.com and see if there is a store near you. Call them and ask them you order you some. I think it's under $20 for a 5 gallon supply and they should be able to get a 1 gallon size container as well. Stay away from the toilet bowl acid unless it says it's phosphoric acid on the container. Muriatic or hydrochloric acid will make a bigger mess than you already have and it will hurt if you get any of it on you! Plus Home Depot in your area might have phosphoric acid in the plumbing supply section. Ask them to help you find some.....

Comment

Awesome, Thank you so much for the advice. I know muriatic acid is bad bad bad. My bud once used a bunch of that stuff to burn up someones paint job for messing with me at work.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                    X