Max rear tire size for 83' GS1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max rear tire size for 83' GS1100E?

What's the maximun width of rear tire I can put on a stock rim and swingarm?

I managed to get a Metzler ME99A2 in 140/80 in there, after I double offset the rear caliper locator arm....it's really too fat for the rim though, makes for some interesting tire carcass distortions at extreme speed and lean angles, I would recommend using a 120-130 max., unless you swap to a gixxer swingarm and wheel

Comment

I've got a 130 on there now and it's due for a replacement soon. I guess I'll just stick with the 130. I can't afford to replace the swingarm (at least no yet anyway). The upkeep on 2 bikes is expensive enough, I don't know how these guys with 4 and 5 bikes do it.

Comment

IT AIN'T EASY

Comment

A 130 is the max tire wide I would feel safe with putting on a stock rim.
          Anything wider than that may not fit between the swingarm, but the most important concern is the resultant tire profile. The 1100 rim would cause profile distortion in anything wider than a 130 tire size. Rolling your tire sideways off the rim in a high speed sweeper could be less than enjoyable.

Earl

Originally posted by CDNBandit
          I've got a 130 on there now and it's due for a replacement soon. I guess I'll just stick with the 130. I can't afford to replace the swingarm (at least no yet anyway). The upkeep on 2 bikes is expensive enough, I don't know how these guys with 4 and 5 bikes do it.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
          X