Battery Situation??..HELP !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Situation??..HELP !!!

Hi Guys, my bikes Battery didn't have enough power to start my bike ( even though the battery tender said it was charged to 12 volts )....so I replaed the battery and did everything by the book in the directions.... same exact situation....any suggestions???... I was thinking it might be the starter ( I have a spare I am going to try.....).....or one of the other electrical components...... ( early fall I attempted to jump it with a car battery for only a couple of seconds ... with the old battery ) and I was told by a friend that doing that was a bad thing..( too much Amperage...will fry stuff !!!) ..any suggestions guys?...thanks, Robb

size of jumping batter means nothing unless you have a situation where too much amperage is being drawn such as in a dead short. you didnt hurt the bike by jumping it with a car battery. That is an old wives tale in most instances.. Have you given close attention to all connection on the starter and solenoid. all grounds etc. Poor wiring usually is the culprit on olde bike. Thats just for starters. Tell us about what you have done to check ALL connections and wires first. Then folks can visualize your situation better.

Comment

thanks Scotty..... will be going thru it tonight & tomorrow...I have gotten ahold of my budy who is a Bike Mechanic....he's gonna trouble shoot it for me.....I'll let you know what gives..... Robb

Comment

Check those ground connections! GS bikes are notorious for having faulty ground connections. :x

Comment

which ground connections??.... you mean the Negative Teminal on the battery?....or just other groung connections?

Comment

Originally posted by RCRobb
            which ground connections??.... you mean the Negative Teminal on the battery?....or just other groung connections?

he means all the grounds . In the starting circuit, the starter body itself is the ground so you must check the hot wire from the battery to the solenoid and then the wire from the other treminal on the solenoid to the starter. dont fool yourself by saying "it looks fine" remove and clean everything . Once you have done that. you can rely on your tests. the first thing i would do after wire and connection maintenance is to try and start the bike. If that doesnt work then jump the solenoid connections with a remote starter button or a screw driver. if the starter doesnt turn over at that point seek advice on starter repair. i always send mine to a rebuilder.
            just a note. About a month ago i stopped for gas. after the fill up I hit the starter button and nothiong at all. My buddy wally pushed started me and i rode home. After removing the siide cover, one of the heavy wires to the solenoid had a broken lug on the end and there was no connection at all. One of a few possibilities. keep us informed and dont believe everything a bike mechanic says.
            some folks think that they are obligated to know all the answers. Not so This bunch will work with you to diagnose or to help you look over the mechanics sholder if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke

he means all the grounds . In the starting circuit, the starter body itself is the ground so you must check the hot wire from the battery to the solenoid and then the wire from the other treminal on the solenoid to the starter. dont fool yourself by saying "it looks fine" remove and clean everything . Once you have done that. you can rely on your tests. the first thing i would do after wire and connection maintenance is to try and start the bike. If that doesnt work then jump the solenoid connections with a remote starter button or a screw driver. if the starter doesnt turn over at that point seek advice on starter repair. i always send mine to a rebuilder.
              Jumping the solenoid will also eliminate the clutch safety cut-out, the 'run-stop' switch, and the ignition switch. Another three possible causes of trouble. If jumping the solenoid makes a difference then you have three things to look at.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys but after leaving the battery hooked up to the trickle charger for a second straight night,
                She fired up no problem and has been fine......
                Gotta go ride it now...thanks all !!!

Robb

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys but after leaving the battery hooked up to the trickle charger for a second straight night,
                  She fired up no problem and has been fine......
                  Gotta go ride it now...thanks all !!!

Robb
                  I hope your easy fix keeps working

Comment

Working...
                  X