gear oil GS850 limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear oil GS850 limited

can someone tell me how to check the level of the gear oil and if so can they tell me how much to put in and what type..(1982 GS850 limited) thanks!!

The filler plug is on the top behind the starter, There is a 10 mm bolt just in front of the drive shaft boot in the lower case This is the level indicator, fill until it drips out of the hole. To drain the gear oil you need to remove the small side cover & shifter. THIS is 90 wt gear oil for the beveled drive gear assembly. The transmission is lubed by the engine oil

Comment

gear oil

very helpful....thanks!!!

Comment

Re: gear oil GS850 limited

Originally posted by lonestar
        can someone tell me how to check the level of the gear oil and if so can they tell me how much to put in and what type..(1982 GS850 limited) thanks!!
        I run Mobil-1 Synthetic 75-90 wt. in secondary and final drive.
        Charlie

Comment

I run el cheapo Walmart 80W90 gear lube, and change it once a year. Works fine, and never a problem with middle gear or final drive in 18 years and 210,000 miles of riding GS shafties.

Save your money.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
            I run el cheapo Walmart 80W90 gear lube, and change it once a year. Works fine, and never a problem with middle gear or final drive in 18 years and 210,000 miles of riding GS shafties.

Save your money.

Nick
            Agree with this. Gear oil doesn't get contaminated or subjected to the same stresses like engine oil. Routinely change hot gear oil to get rid of any accummulated metal. I do mine at 15,000km which is every second (synthetic ) engine oil change.

Take care to avoid overfilling the middle gear. Fill slowly to the level hole and give the cold oil time to stablise before replacing the screw.

Comment

Take care to avoid overfilling the middle gear.

Important point indeed!

Nick

Comment

Working...
              X