Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange noise from front wheel ( 81 GS850 GL) Success !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange noise from front wheel ( 81 GS850 GL) Success !!!!!

update:

Thanks for all the help. I pulled speedo drive, removed circlip and washer. Wiped crud out. Lubed. Wiped down axle and spacers, Put coat of Moly wheel bearing grease on. Installed wheel, Test ride.
    Noise / bind Gone!

Just a few thoughts while fresh in my mind for anyone performing same.

JMO. Check bearings and brakes. Reinstall cable to Speedo drive BEFORE mounting wheel. Clean off any grease that you might have got on rotors with a bit of carb cleaner on clean cloth, then wipe them dry and make sure all carb cleaner gone.

Once wheel is installed. squeeze front brake BEFORE you test to make sure pads are engaging.

Enjoy,
    Thanks again,
    Charlie

BTW, I will have to see how it holds up when it turns cold and lube thickens up.

The good news:
    I got my GS all back together and running great after it had been sidelined for about a year.
    I rode it for about 40 miles last night. Ran and rode perfect no problems.
    Got ready to take a couple 100 mile trip today. When I started off there was a strange (disturbing) clicking binding sound from the front wheel area. I could not isolate it to brakes or bearings etc. It would only due it while I was riding (very slow in parking lot) . When I would stop and put it on the center stand and spin the front wheel. There seemed to be no problem, no side movement, brakes worked, maybe slight drag. (has not been ridden for a year. Had to cancel my ride and drive my truck instead (bummer).

Somewhere in the back of my brain it seems like this may have happened before. There is just slight clearence between the fender and wheel. where the fender is pushed in a bit.

It was cold last night. so I don't know if that had a effect. The only other thing I noticed the previous night was the speedometer was lagging until the bike warmed up.

I will look it over again in the morning.

Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

could be bearings, how old are they?
    but most likely it is the speedometer drive making the noise, I have had the same problem and took everything apart, checked the bearings over real close and could not find a explanation.
    I disassembled the speedometer drive and found it was gummed up, I cleaned it out and repacked it in light grease and no more clicking!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
      but most likely it is the speedometer drive making the noise, I have had the same problem and took everything apart, checked the bearings over real close and could not find a explanation.
      I disassembled the speedometer drive and found it was gummed up, I cleaned it out and repacked it in light grease and no more clicking!
      Can't recall replacing the bearings.
      I will check them.

Hopefully it is the speed-0 drive.
      I will take a look see tommorow.
      Appreciate the reply. That gives me a lead to follow.
      Thanks,
      Charlie

Comment

It's probably the speedo drive, so I agree with Leon. Same thing has happened to me before. Sometimes the tabs get spread too far when reinstalling the front wheel, and the rubbing of the tabs against the housing causes noise.

As for the wheel bearings, I would replace them anyway since you'll have the wheel off the bike.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
          It's probably the speedo drive, so I agree with Leon. Same thing has happened to me before. Sometimes the tabs get spread too far when reinstalling the front wheel, and the rubbing of the tabs against the housing causes noise.

As for the wheel bearings, I would replace them anyway since you'll have the wheel off the bike.

Nick
          Thanks Nick,

I just pulled the front wheel. I had already replaced the front bearings.
          Everything is well greased. Cable good shape turns free. Now I do recall having this speedo drive problem before. It seems to turn pretty well. But I thinks it probably just needs to be pulled apart and regreased. Been sitting for over a year. It did not hang up when I was keeping it inside in the warm. Now outside, grease probably stiff. I will report back in a bit once I put her back together.

Thanks for the help!
          Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
            Thanks to All!

She is back on the road.
            Charlie

Comment

Working...
            X