Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

left cover removal (I know about the magnetic force)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

left cover removal (I know about the magnetic force)

I'm trying to remove the aluminum cover on the left side (covering the starter and generator rotor), on my 1978 GS550E, and I'm running into some big problems.

First, I pryed equally on all sides, and felt something give. But no budging past that and I really didn't want to break anything, so I pulled a bit more by hand....and OOPS, the idle gear pulled away with the side cover, and its just kind of hanging unsupported right now!

I tried to pull a bit more but notice that there is also a bundle of about three wires that seem to mount to the cover somehow. I only have about a quarter inch of clearance to get anything in there, so I can't really look around too much to figure out how it is attached.

First of all..... did I really screw this up bad?

and second of all........ if I didn't , how do I get the aluminum cover off (and how do I disconnect those bastard wires?, or can I just leave them connected and keep pulling until the cover comes off?)

By the way, the engine is still on the bike if that matters any.

Also....can I replace the gaskets by cutting my own using the sheets that a place like NAPA sells? How do I make the little holes for the screws?

The wires are from the stator they should be disconnected and pushed/ pulled thru the grommet (back by the starter) . You can make a gasket if you don't have one. Wash the outside of the cover and your hands and pull (sometime if you use a pair of cotton gloves with the rubber gripping dots helps)

Comment

Hi CRC,

I recently took off my left side cover to get to my stator as well. So I kind of know what your going through, but as far as that idle gear poping out, I have no idea dude. All I can figgure is you said you pryed in there. I suppose its possible you got a hold of the gear with your screwdriver or whatever you used to pry with and poped it out.

I simply unscrewed my left side "magneto cover" and tapped it with a rubber mallot to pop it from the GLUE that it was held on with and pulled with my hands, I did have to pull quite hard with the magnetic force in there and all but it wasent too bad it came right off along with a lil oil "normal". And yes as DancerLynn said those wires are from your stator, follow it, you will find 3 male wires going into 3 female connectors located under your right side cover near your seat. Disconnect them from there.

You may need to remove the cover from your starter located benith your caborator and ontop of the magneto cover your trying to remove to get to the "Grommet" that SqDancerLynn is talking about.

Even without disconnecting all that stuff though you should still be able to atleast pull off that magneto cover and have it dangle there with the stator still inside.

Did you have to pry REAL hard? Perhaps the magnet from the stator or alternator is attracting the idle gear that popped out and thats why its following you.

As for the gasket, if you choose to buy one, I was able to buy mine from a suzuki dealer for 7 bucks. Be sure to ask for a "magneto cover gasket".

Justin

Comment

The idle gear assembly will just push gack in place easily. Just be sure that there is a spacer washer on both ends of the shaft. if not then one could hav dropped off and fell into the stator cover. No big deal. it cant go any where important. when i took mine of a couple of years ago to install the polished cover, my idler was missing a spacer washer on the inside up against the case casting. the diagram in you shop book will show you.

Comment

First...prying is a BAD idea. You are virtually guaranteed to do damage to the aluminum cover and/or the engine case.

Since it is done, you will undoubtedly need to replace the gasket with something thicker, and softer, to fill the gaps the prying has caused.

Wires........remove the left side cover from the bike. Look for three wires in a single cable cover running across the top of the engine, away from the starter. Follow them up under the cover and disconnect them.

Remove the starter cover. The wires run under the cover, on the side of the starter.

Now the wires will come free and the stator cover will be free from the bike.

Yes, you can cut your own from a sheet of gasket material, provided you are careful with the knife. Be sure you use a VERY sharp knife.

For the holes, the best means to put them in is to place the gasket sheet against the cover and replace it on the engine. Then use a nail (or other sharp object) of a diameter similar to the bolts that came out. Even better is to ask the wife for a package of wooden skewers, as the diameter will be close, they are pointed, and they will not damage anything.

Once you have the first hole punched, place a bolt in it and lock it on the bike. Doe the same for another two or three. The pressure will ensure you get the holes centred, and keep the gasket from breaking.

Once the holes are in place, run your knife around the perimeter.

Remove everything, but leave the gasket material on the cover. Drop bolts through the holes to ensure the gasket stays in place, and does not deform. Cut the gasket along the inside of the cover......carefully.

You did not say why you were removing the cover, but if it is to replace the stator, remember to clean up the bolt holes inside the cover when installing the new one, and you MUST use a thread locker, such as Loctite. Use the BLUE formula (medium strength)
          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
            The idle gear assembly will just push gack in place easily. Just be sure that there is a spacer washer on both ends of the shaft. if not then one could hav dropped off and fell into the stator cover. No big deal. it cant go any where important. when i took mine of a couple of years ago to install the polished cover, my idler was missing a spacer washer on the inside up against the case casting. the diagram in you shop book will show you.
            Good point. Years ago I replaced the gasket and did'nt notice one of those spacers had come off and stuck to the cold oil on the side. I did wonder why I only had one spacer when I re-assembled but did'nt actually know there were two. By the time I went to start the bike, the spacer had slid down and wedged itself between the gears. Made a great "whirring" sound. Almost like some trick hop up 8O . I took it apart saying to my friend "why, I did'nt do anything"? Found the now bent spacer and learned my lesson.
            I've read here that some people don't see any spacers, some have one, and others have two. I believe there should be two to stop the gear from wearing into the softer case. One on each side.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I love you guys. Will definetely be making a contribution to the site soon. After typing this last night and not being able to sleep thinking I had ruined the engine, I consulted my manual and indeed found out that it wasn't that big of a deal after all.

Thanks for the info guys, this site has saved me from pulling my hair out and performing a "sledge hammer sacrifice" on my GS several times.

By the way, mine is a 1978 GS550E, and it does have two washers/spacers on either side of the shaft that goes through the idle gear.

The reason I'm doing this isn't to get to the stator at all.......It's actually much more selfish than that. I'm trying to get all the covers off to clean the covers up a bit and perhaps shoot them up with some engine paint.

Now I kind of wished I didn't..... today was about 60 and sunny here in Columbus, OH, and tomorrow is supposed to be the same, and my GS is in parts and pieces in the garage. Sometimes you don't know what you got till its gone (or till its in pieces in your garage).

Comment

If all else fails you can always use a pair of jumper cables! :twisted:

Comment

Why is it I have the feeling that one is never going to be forgotten? :-) :-) :-) I still haven't figured out how wrapping your forehead with jumper cables and putting a current through them can make you strong enough to pull off the cover without removing any of the bolts.

earl :-) :-) :-)

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  If all else fails you can always use a pair of jumper cables! :twisted:
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                  X