1978 GS 1000 VM carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 1000 VM carbs

OK Y'all. I would like to know how many inches of mercury you're pulling on those VM's at an idle rpm of 1200.

Earl :-)
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

HEY big E!

I have a carbtune II http://www.biketown.co.uk/Product_Re...arbtuneII.html

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

Which is measured in cmHg I have nfi wtf cmHg is

It is not filled with mercury eather it used small slider rods so I think my readings wouldnt help you at all. :?

I just felt bad no one had replied to you yet so...

***BUMP***

Comment

Around 8 to 10 ft on my vacuum guages (I just get the carbs to be on the same settings!), but I have a non-standard motor with bumpy cams, high compression etc so may not be much of a guide to standard motors.

An article I have says a Z9 would be around 8 inches.

Comment

Earl, what does the VM stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
          It stands for "very moody", which these carbs can be.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Earl, I have used both the "GT" mercury tuner and the "Motion Pro" mercury tuner. The lines on both tools are spaced 2cm. The first line on the scale represents 6 cm. At 1200 rpm, typical levels are about 6-8 lines up (16-20 cm) but they are commonly unstable. At 3500 rpm, they typically rise another 5 lines for a total of about 30 cm. 2 cm is about 3/4".
            So I have about 7" of mercury at 1200 rpm, give or take. I have found with a very good manual sinc', the initial start up always shows the levels somewhere in this range. If not, then it's a poor manual sinc' or there's a mechanical problem/intake leak.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              Seriously

Comment

thanks Keith, thats what I was looking for. :-)

Earl

Earl, I have used both the "GT" mercury tuner and the "Motion Pro" mercury tuner. The lines on both tools are spaced 2cm. The first line on the scale represents 6 cm. At 1200 rpm, typical levels are about 6-8 lines up (16-20 cm) but they are commonly unstable. At 3500 rpm, they typically rise another 5 lines for a total of about 30 cm. 2 cm is about 3/4".
                So I have about 7" of mercury at 1200 rpm, give or take. I have found with a very good manual sinc', the initial start up always shows the levels somewhere in this range. If not, then it's a poor manual sinc' or there's a mechanical problem/intake leak.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have it on good authority that VM stands for Variously Maddening.
                  Actually, I dont know.

Earl :-)

Seriously

Comment

Hoomgar, I'm not really sure but I would guess the "V" stands for Vacuum or Velocity. I would guess the "M" stands for Mechanical.

Comment

Earl, if by chance your very moody carbs are showing levels that keep changing, I have a tip that you may not be aware of.
                      If you think you may have sticking slides, take some Semi-chrome or Blue Magic polishing paste and smooth up the entire slide area inside the carb body. Obviously, just a little paste/pressure is enough. I put just a small dab and work it into the cloth first and then with my index finger, lightly rub up and down doing about 1/4 circle of the slide area. I re-apply a dab of paste and repeat for the next 1/4...I rub up and down maybe 20-25 times per 1/4. Remove the residue with a clean cloth and you'll see how mirror smooth the slide area is. Carb cleaner can get off any varnish spots on the slides. The slides have more tendency to stick when they heat up. I've found this helps remove any oxidation film and the slides operate more smoothly.

Comment

Thanks again Keith. I'll give'er a go. :-) I'm having a bitch of a time gettin a smooth and progressive vacuum response whilechanging throttle settings. It may well be some slightly "sticky" slides. Although, after soaking and assembling them, they did seem to move easily with a light finger touch. Drat! :-)

Earl

Earl, if by chance your very moody carbs are showing levels that keep changing, I have a tip that you may not be aware of.
                        If you think you may have sticking slides, take some Semi-chrome or Blue Magic polishing paste and smooth up the entire slide area inside the carb body. Obviously, just a little paste/pressure is enough. I put just a small dab and work it into the cloth first and then with my index finger, lightly rub up and down doing about 1/4 circle of the slide area. I re-apply a dab of paste and repeat for the next 1/4...I rub up and down maybe 20-25 times per 1/4. Remove the residue with a clean cloth and you'll see how mirror smooth the slide area is. Carb cleaner can get off any varnish spots on the slides. The slides have more tendency to stick when they heat up. I've found this helps remove any oxidation film and the slides operate more smoothly.

Comment

I've found that even after a polishing inside I still needed to apply a very very very light coating of grease on the slide but not the needle, the needle I only polished. I used brasso on my brass needles.

Comment

Grease will attract grit.

Comment

Won't the vaporized gasoline remove the grease from the slides?

Comment

Working...
                              X