Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve adjustments on a GS110ES 1983!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustments on a GS110ES 1983!!!!!!!!

I was wondering if a non-stock was worth less if the modifications were tasteful upgrades, and was concerned about the routine valve adjustments. I don't have 350 dollars for servicing ever time. So, naturally, I was wondering if learning do do it my self is easy but better yet safe for the bike since I have never done this.

How does one do Valve adjustments???????

If I can do it, anybody can, But get a repair manual before you start. It will tell you step by step.

Comment

It's not all that difficult if you're the least bit mechanically inclined. The beauty about working on these older bikes is that there's so much room. It's like looling under the hood of a car today and comparing it with one from 25 years ago but you will need a service manual for all the torque specs.

In a nutshell, you need to remove the vavle cover (12 bolts I think), line up your cam timing marks so that they are horizontally lined up with the head by either turning the crank from the signal generator (the cover will need to be removed) or by turning your back wheel with it in gear, and measure the valve lash (space between rocker and valve stem)with a set of feeler guages and adjust them within spec. You do half the valves with the cams in this position. It's locknut and screw adjusters, not shims.

You'll need to turn the crank so that the cam timing marks are lined up on the opposite side to do the other half of the valves. The manual outlines which valves are to be adjusted when the cams are in each position.

Make sure the engine is cold (overnight cold) when you do them.

The whole procedure takes me about 1 1/2 hours.

Comment

Make sure the engine is cold (overnight cold) when you do them.
        Also, valve clearances tighten up over time, so set them on the loose side of the range given in the manual. Loose valve clearances will give you some clatter, but tight clearances can burn exhaust valves, so loose = safe.

I'll say it again, too - get a manual. It will be the best $20 you ever spend on your bike. Take good care of the bike (using the manual) and you will get years of good service from your machine.

Mark

Comment

Don't forget to RE-torque the head nuts and bolts before attempting a valve adjustment too.

Comment

Is there valve shims on a 81 gs850L

Or screw adjusters and a lock nut?

James

Comment

valve clearance adjustment

Hello folks, First of all welcome to the GSR. You really should go ahead and join in the group, it's well worth the effort. I believe Basscliff has the procedure posted in his welcome and probably it is in the Garage section on the main page. The process is not all that difficult on either style valve train, just different from each other. The 850L would have the shim style adjusters. Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by malibuman View Post
                Or screw adjusters and a lock nut?

James
                Kudos Malibuman for doing a search, however our guests are probably long departed.

Comment

thats OK I am figuring it out

James

Comment

Working...
                  X