blocking off the oil passages to the head on my gs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blocking off the oil passages to the head on my gs1100

I picked up a top end oiling kit. I was told I can avoid oil leaks by blocking off the oil passage coming up from the cases and then block the oil passages going into the head with the kit installed. So basically no oil would go thru the block, but rather be fed to the top end by the top end oiling kit. Anyone ever done this or explain how best to do it .

Re: blocking off the oil passages to the head on my gs1100

A couple of the functions of oil are to lubricate the engine, clean it, and COOL it. Blocking off the cooling passages may not be a good idea. You would still need to leave the return passageways open. No oil going through the block doesnt sound like a good idea at all. Probably OK if the engine only has to last for one trip down the strip though. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rosco15
    I picked up a top end oiling kit. I was told I can avoid oil leaks by blocking off the oil passage coming up from the cases and then block the oil passages going into the head with the kit installed. So basically no oil would go thru the block, but rather be fed to the top end by the top end oiling kit. Anyone ever done this or explain how best to do it .
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I agree with Earl dont block off the oil passages in the block, fit the topend oiler kit and allow it to return via the studs otherwise it will be forced to pool in the head over cylinders one and four and that is a lot of oil sitting in your head , it will cost significant HP, of cause once those areas are full and start overflowing it will run down the camchain tunnel to create a lot of extra drag on the crank again costing significant HP.
      Dink

Comment

What about on a normal motor. The oil comes up those passages so they dont return oil to the bottom of the motor anyhow. Wouldn't blocking the passages make the oil return to the bottom of the motor the way a stock motor would? Keep it coming. I need more input...

Comment

Working...
        X