wheelie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheelie

I have a 1977 GS750 and wanted to know if it should be able to do a wheelie. i havent even come close. have any of you guys been able to wheelie on your bikes?

It's never been an issue with the 400, even when I dump the clutch once I start to roll. I like not having to worry about it getting way out of control on me. The rear wheel only ever spins on white lines too. hehe I think it's all in knowing how to do a wheelie to be honest. I remember hearing from a guy with a GSXR1100 saying his wouldn't get up on the back tire either. :roll: My CR250 would go up just by whacking the throttle.

Steve

Comment

one wheel ridin

its possible but hard to do
      ive rode a buddies gs 550l and got a small short wheelie
      id say no more than 6 inches off the ground and about6 ft
      but it can be done
      just be careful, ive just got back to riding since i flipped a Honda rebel riding a wheelie. Recovery sucks

Comment

Holy cow!!! You wheelied a Rebel!?!?
        I used to have one of those I didn't think they were capable of doing that!!
        Did you do it on purpose? And how did you do it?

Dm of mD

Comment

I think you can wheelie just about anything by dumping the clutch. I used to do them on my GPz 305 and Ltd. 550 all the time. I won't try this on my GS1100 because I'd be too worried about flipping it but my Bandit pulls really smooth power wheelies in first and sometimes second gear.

Comment

If I hop on my 1000 in lower gears it will come right up without even trying. Especially when taking off from a stop. Like a light to light race which I engage in often. 1st gear can be scary as it wants to stand right up but it is not uncommon to lean back a bit when hitting second forgetting to work at keeping it down and have it fly right up too. Sometimes I like to get a rise out of first when taking off and then crack it wide open while leaning forward (slightly standing up) and let it rip through first into second with it still pushing up. Gives you the feeling of awesome power and is as close as I ever get to actually "riding" a wheelie

Comment

Originally posted by CDNBandit
              I think you can wheelie just about anything by dumping the clutch.
              Indeed you can... it is mostly a matter of finding the right balance point.

Not that I endorse this kind of squidly behavior... :mrgreen:

Comment

yes i popped up the rebel. it was totally stock with saddle bags and a windsheild. bought it this past year for 600.00 it was a 99 model
                i rode about 3 whellies with my big butt way out over the rear
                on the forth try, :roll: the rebels bottom side got a good look at the sun. right in front of all my buddies. my 4 yo son walked up and just said one word."DUMBASS"

Comment

That scooter looks like it has a Katana fairing on it. 8-[ hehe, I've never liked the Katanas.

Steve

Comment

Wow, awesome stories!

Thanks!
                    Dm of mD

Edit: I won't be trying any stunts on my bike hehe...

Comment

Well at least your son knew what to say

Comment

well he does know his dad well!
                        im the regular Tim the toolman Taylor around here

Comment

When I first got my 77 750, and was trying to get it to run correctly I popped quite a wheelie. See I had just cleaned out the carbs, and she finally had come alive, but when I had put the carbs back in I evidently hit a wire that controled the Dyna III ignition box. So I take it out on the road and open it up in first gear, and she's going great. Nice torque on these old 8 valvers. Well I was up probabably around 6k on the tach, and the engine just stops, from that wire disconnecting, this of course immediately pushes the bike forward from the engine braking, and fully compresses the front forks (they needed rebuilding). This shift in the bike was enough for the wire to reconnect, and my hand was still holding the throttle wide open. She fires back up comes thru all the fork travel and throws the wheel skyward, luckily I was able to back her down before anything more drastic happened. One hell of a first ride.

Comment

Yes!

A 750 can pop a wheelie, alright. Here's my story....I was in a bar in Japan in March of 1970, shortly after the Honda 750's were introduced. There was a drunk Japster in the bar that had one and made quite a commotion about it. :x
                            When he decided to leave, half the bar emptied in order to see this wonderful new motorcycle and have a chance to see it in action. He fired it up, reved the engine (far too many RPM's in my opinion, for a cold motorcycle ) and popped the clutch, much to the satisfaction of the drunken crowd.
                            The front wheel of the brand new Honda 750 climbed skyward and the drunken Samarai headed for the pavement. The bike continued on for about 50 feet and crashed while the crowd looked on in amazement. To say the guy was embarrassed would be a huge understatement.
                            He climbed back on and rode away in a much tamer fashion. 8O
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have had two shaft drive GS models , and I could never get close to a wheelie, someone told me it cant be done with a shaft drive. Anyone know different?

Comment

Working...
                              X