oil light staying on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil light staying on

I just changed the oil on my 82 GS750E. At the same time I put on new Areoquip oil lines and painted the oil cooler. I bolted everything back on and stared it up. The oil light is staying on. I thought maybe I pinched the lead wire to the oil pressure switch but it looks fine then I thought maybe I screwed up the new oil lines so I put the old lines back on, light still stays on. My next plan is to put on a new oil pressure switch. The only other thing I can think might be be causing the light to stay on is that I have a little oil leaking out from the head gasket. Does anyone have any suggestions on trouble shooting this problem?
    Thanks
    BigBill

You might ground the wire and see if the light goes out if it does change the pressure switch Head gasket leak will not cause the oil light to go on

Comment

Isn't it the other way around? If you disconnect the wire from the sender, the light should go off? If it stays on, there's a short somewhere. At least that's the way aircooled VW's work.

Comment

Normally when the ignition is turned on the light goes on. After starting the engine the light goes out. If I disconnect the wire from the sending unit while the engine is running the light goes out. Is there any reason the pressure switch would go out during normal maintenance?
        BigBill

Comment

Oil Light

The oil pressure switch provides a ground path for the oil light when the oil pressure is to low. When pressure is reached the switch opens, removes the ground path and the light goes out. To check for false grounds in the circuit (a pinched wire etc.) remove the wire from the oil pressure switch. If the light goes out the wiring is correct. If not you either have a bad switch or low oil pressure. Remove the switch and check for a plugged orfice.

Comment

I am having the same problem, still need to adress that issue.

Just wanted to add what I learned by exident. If you are not sure if you have oil pressure or not, dissconecnt the tachometar cable, then fire the engine up, and watch for the galons of oil shooting out powerfully all over your bike and yourself. Then spend about 3 hours trying to clean up the bike, driveway and yourself. Even then notice the oil still burning off of your exaust system, the smell giving you a headaech of your life

I guess it gets even worst if there is no oil shooting.

Good luck.

PS. Funny thing, my oil pressure light stayed on after changing the lines as well, and the old ones didnt solve the problem either...

Comment

McMan,
              The light does go out when I disconnect the wire. I will try a new pressure switch next. If that does not work what is the next step. Can I use compressed air to clean out the oil passages? Where would I start?
              BigBill

Comment

Toolman,

I like your idea, it is a little demented and unorthodox but I will give it a try. Maybe I can connect a hose to where the tach cable goes in so that oil does not go flying around.
                BigBill

Comment

I was just joking of course, but if you do something like that make sure you overfill it with oil...

hey here is my question related to the problem. I think i asked this once before, but guess no answer made me happy. How does my oil coller work? it only has 2 hoses coming from the engine and they go to the oil cooler on the front. I do not get it how the oil has the preassure to move around? there is no on of regulator switch so it must be on all the time, but I dont think any oil is going through!? There is no oil pump on the hoses so how does it work? wtf?

Anyway. ..

Comment

Oil Pressure

There is a bolt on the right side of the engine, just forward and below the clutch actuator arm. It looks like its there for no reason but it is a port to check the oil pressure with an external gauge. On a warm engine @ 3000rpm it should be between 1.42 to 7.11psi. If you can get you hands on a gauge this will tell you where your problem lies. All of the above info pertains to my GS850 but yours should be simular.

Comment

Working...
                    X