Front wheel wobble GS1150E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got my '85 GS1150EF (stock, 3,600 mi.) back on the road after 15 years in storage. It runs and rides GREAT, but I noticed when I take my hands off the bars, I get a wobble which gradually gets worse. But once I put just a few fingers back on the bars it goes away, so it's not really that bad (I don't take both hands off the bars as a rule). Is this normal for my bike? I haven't done anything to the forks yet except check the pressure. The tires are new and matching. The seals look good.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Check your steering head bearings to see if they are loose first.Can you make the the forks rattle whith the bike on the center stand? Then check the air pressure and condition of BOTH tires. My 1150E doesnt shake if I take my hands off but my ES does at around 50 mph.

Comment

Also might get the tires balanced as well, if the steering head bearings and tire condition look alright. My 1150 doesn't wobble, but I have noticed how a little imperfection in any these things mentioned can cause a bike to handle "wrong".

Comment

Check the chain algnment.
        Somtimes that rear wheel being a little out of line will cause this.

A wobble is generally something on the front end
        Weaves usually from something in the rear.

Get the bike on the center stand, does the front wheel flop over to one side?
        If you gently swing the front end to each side, feel any "notches" or does it pause or feel tight anyhwhere thru it's travel? If any of these come up with a yes, could be the bearings in the tripple tree.
        Just them for tightness, both ways too tight or too loose.

Did you do brakes? maybe a disc pad hanging up? Does the front wheel turn freely?
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

As you may be aware the 1150 has a 16" front wheel 8O this is the reason why it shakes it's head a little. My 1150 has done it to me once in five years. Please check those things already mentioned, and keep in mind that riding with no hands is not recommended Welcome back to the joys of riding and in particular the joys of an 1150
          Dink

Comment

That no handed wobble/shake is not normal and should be correctable. I had the exact same problem with my 1100 when I bought it and once with an 850 I used to own. Assuming both wheels are in balance and you don't have a defective tire I would start with the head bearing adjustment then progress to the other things mentioned above. (Also make sure the oil level and air pressure is exactly the same in both forks)

Comment

Thanks for the advise from all. I checked the bearings and they are fine. The pads do drag a little when I spin the front wheel. I was planning on replacing them anyway, since they are original. Thanks, again. And by the way, I had forgotten how much fun this bike is...... WOW!
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Or go even better get rid of the air altogether and just pack the springs to set your ride height.
                Dink

Comment

Working...
                X