Possible petcock problems and replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible petcock problems and replacement

My #1 carb leaks gas. I have carefully gone through the carbs, cleaning them thoroughly while also (hopefully) meticulously setting the float levels. While the bike was apart, I noticed that the tank, while sitting on the floor of my porch, was leaking gas through the petcock/fuel line area. (Don't tell my wife [as if she couldn't tell already].)

I'm wondering if the gas leaking from the carb might be from a leaking petcock, much like my Yam650 does when I "used to" forget to turn the petcocks off.

If my GS (850L) petcock is leaking and needs replaced, I'm thinking of going to a manual petcock to replace the vacuum one. If I do that, what's a good choice as a manual replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Although I've never used these personally, many GS'ers highly recommend Pingel fuel valves. They certainly look like a high quality unit. They have both manual and vacuum operated valves. Keep in mind that if you get a manual valve and forget to turn it off you have a real possibility of gas overflowing into your crankcase.

Here's a link to Pingel:

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Does ANYBODY make an economy fuel tap? All it does is turn off and on so I'm not prepared to pay a premium. If it lit up and spun maybe I would.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Cheap

Arlyn's problems as sooooooooo typical. Steve, there are a number of inexpensive petcocks available but I was never able to find one that fit the 1980 models because of their very limited clearance. I think you can find one for your bike without too much trouble.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Bike Bandit or parts dealer

I bought one from BikeBandit.com for my 82 GS1100GK. Was about $55. If you have a bike shop near you (not a Suzuki dealer) you might get one a little cheaper. Came with the O ring and solved my fuel leak problem. Typical problem with anything vacuum operated. Ever have a vehicle with vacuum operated wipers? Wonder why they went away??? Any way, you definately don't want gas in the crankcase.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
            Although I've never used these personally, many GS'ers highly recommend Pingel fuel valves. They certainly look like a high quality unit. They have both manual and vacuum operated valves. Keep in mind that if you get a manual valve and forget to turn it off you have a real possibility of gas overflowing into your crankcase.

Here's a link to Pingel:

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Joe
            Joe...any idea which one would fit a 1980 GS1100E?

Comment

Sorry, but I can't help with this. I couldn't find any fitment info on Pingel's website. I'd guess the best thing to do would be to call them.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far.

I've contacted Pingel and ordered an appropriate petcock according to their recommendations. No doubt about not being cheap. Let's hope the product quality is up to their prices.

If all goes well, I'll have my replacement petcock by Friday, and perhaps an operable bike soon after.

Comment

Working...
                X