Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leaking From Breather Tube On Top Of Engine

Help!

After riding on the highway for over an hour this afternoon I stopped at a gas station and my bike was leaking oil like crazy. as well as a slow leak from the valve cover gasket, i noticed it was dripping oil from the engine breather tube as well.

what could be the cause of this leak and how can i fix it? i'm at my parents house now and need to get home for school tomorrow. will it damage my bike to ride it in this condition? once i'm riding, it runs fine and the engine oil pressure light does not come on. i'll be checking here frequently tonight if any more info is needed. now i'm going to make sure all my engine bolts are tight.

TIA

Disconnect the line from your air box and run it into something that can catch the oil. Then plug the hole in your air box.

Have you got too much oil in the bike? I would ride it if you aren't getting oil on your back wheel. Where else is it leaking? If it's leaking from a high point in your engine you could leave the oil a bit below full so that it doesn't leak out.

Steve

Comment

Re: Oil Leaking From Breather Tube On Top Of Engine

Probably the most common reason for oil being blown out the oil breather tube is due to overfilling the crankcase, or in some instances, a leaking petcock which also cause the crankcase oil level to be too high.

earl

Originally posted by wuduhel
      Help!

After riding on the highway for over an hour this afternoon I stopped at a gas station and my bike was leaking oil like crazy. as well as a slow leak from the valve cover gasket, i noticed it was dripping oil from the engine breather tube as well.

what could be the cause of this leak and how can i fix it? i'm at my parents house now and need to get home for school tomorrow. will it damage my bike to ride it in this condition? once i'm riding, it runs fine and the engine oil pressure light does not come on. i'll be checking here frequently tonight if any more info is needed. now i'm going to make sure all my engine bolts are tight.

TIA
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

ok.

i did just recently change my oil, but i filled it with the specified amount of oil.

i also noticed that my fuel line was kinked, slowing down the fuel flow.

the bike is parked in the street and is still leaking a little bit of oil. i'll check it again in the morning.

thanks again for the good replies and suggestions.

cheers

Comment

Lol, love your screen-name heheheh....
          I find myself saying that all the time.

Dm of mD

Comment

did you check the oil level with the bike on the centerstand and looking at the oil level in the sight window on the right side crankcase?

Earl

[quote="wuduhel"]ok.

i did just recently change my oil, but i filled it with the specified amount of oil.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Oil Leakage

Last summer I had an oil leakage from the breather hose on my bike. It was the pistonrings that was worn out, with the result that the pressure went down in the oil sump and out through the breather hose. When I opened the engine I found that one pistonring was broken and a piece of the piston (between two rings) was loose. I had to change cylinders, pistons and rings.
              I hope this isn't the case on Your bike because its expensive to fix.
              But I think it sounds like there is too much pressure from "downstairs", it should be on top of the pistons not beneath.

GOOD LUCK! 8)

Comment

well i rode the bike home monday morning and it ran like a champ. by the time i got home it was leaking just a small, slow amount from the breather tube and the oil level was about half way full.

Comment

well i rode the bike home monday morning and it ran like a champ. by the time i got home it was leaking just a small, slow amount from the breather tube and the oil level was about half way full.
                  Well, at that rate is should be out of oil to leak soon. 8O

Do a search on this, I remember a topic on leaking out the breather tube a while back that had some in depth discussion on the hows and whys of the breather tube and what makes oil come out it.

Comment

ok, i think i just overfilled it when i changed the oil. when i said i had checked the oil and it was half way, it was on the side stand. DOH! checking it on the center stand shows it full. it's running strong and firing on all 4 cylinders.

Comment

ok, i think i just overfilled it when i changed the oil. when i said i had checked the oil and it was half way, it was on the side stand. DOH! checking it on the center stand shows it full. it's running strong and firing on all 4 cylinders.
                      DOH #-o

Comment

Working...
                      X