newbie intro and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie intro and question

Newbie alert... wiredgeorge here. I currently own three Kaws (Vulcan 1500A, Nomad and 1976 KZ900) but owned an 1982 GS1100E from 1983 to 1996. I rebuilt and repainted the bike serveral times and it was one of my favorite rides of all time. In any case, howdy!

Well, with that out of the way, I have a question. I recall the GS1000 & GS1100 used a CV type carb (don't recall if it was a Keihin or Mikuni) but will an older KZ type Mikuni 28mm slide carb fit? In other words, is the spacing the same on the cylinder head? I think new intake rubbers will have to be procured but need to know for sure. Thanks

Yep!! The spacing is the same.

Comment

George,
      Isn't Mico up near Medina Lake? If so check out the Meetingplace section of the forum for a Hill Country ride this weekend. We meet in Bandera Saturday at 8am at the OST.

Comment

I will see yall at the OST at 8AM on Sat... Jim McCullough another KZ Rider will be there as will be one of the fellas who is a KZ Rider forum member from Austin but who will be on a Fatboy (geeesh). I wil be on my KZ900. Hopefully you Suzi drivers won't go to fast for an ol' guy like me... bwhahahahahaha I look forward to stopping in again at the Lonestar MC Museum up on 187. WX looks good! There is a thread on the KZRider.com message board in the "rides" section so others may be showing up. Cheers.

Comment

Mr. Phillips from Tn.... Will the Suzi OEM intake rubber manifolds work with 28mm Mikunis or will different intake rubbers be needed?

Comment

I don't think I said what I ment to say. The spacing for the Suzuki & Kaws, that use cv carbs are the same. The spacing for the Suzuki & Kawas. that use slide carbs are the same. Not positive the cv spacing is the same as the slide spacing. As a rule, the cv carbs would be replaced with 33mm smoothbores, and the intake boots would fit. I never saw 28mm smoothbores replacing 34mm or 36mm cv's. I haven't a clue where you could find intake boots to make the 28mm work.

Comment

I knew it should read 29mm smoothbores, just seeing who was paying attention.

Comment

This place sells the manifolds. Look under carb accessories.

Comment

The 29 smooth bore are a direct fit to the older GS pre 1980 that used the 26 slide muni Newer GS used a 34mm muni. A BIG miss match to the larger intake port of the later GS 1000,1100

Comment

Working...
                  X