78 GS750E Timing. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750E Timing. HELP!

Hey guys. Hows it going? I got a question for you but I'll give you some background info first. I while back I got a 78 GS750E. Its in rough shape but mechanically its fine. I rode it for a while and decided that I was going to take it apart(first mistake).. clean the carbs, scrub & clean the valves etc etc. Everything went fine, I got everything clean and put back together up until I had to put the dual cams back on. Like a FOOL when I took it apart I only scratch-marked one of the cams! I didnt think to do the other one(second mistake).. So now I'm in a pickle. I've guessed a couple times, with TDC and whatnot.. but nothing worked. So can you help me get it right? Remember I got one of the cams right, its just the other one thats off. I'll take pictures of it if you need me to. Anyways I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks!!

Marksman

Buy a manual........ that should tell you all you need to know, and for not much money!

Comment

I am going to assume that you have the cams in the proper place exhaust and intake because there is a difference, the cams are marked ex and in, before installing the cams make sure you turn the crank shaft behind the point cover and set it so you have the T mark for number 1-4 cyl. aligned with the case mark,with that established lets continue the exhaust cam will have a 1 with an arrow next to it and also a 2 with an arrow,make sure that the number 1 arrow is aligned with the top of the head it should be parralell and pointing at the gasket surface of the head, the 2 arrow will be pointing upward,then on the intake cam you will have a number 3 with an arrow the number 3 arrow should be pointing straight up when installing the chain you have to count 20 pins on the chain the first pin aligning with the number 2 arrow on the exhaust cam and the 20 th pin aligning on the number 3 arrow of the intake cam, if that is right then you have the cams properly timed. and it should fire up with no problems.

Tim

Comment

Thanks, one more question

Thanks flyboy. Your post rely helped me out. But what do you mean by "make sure you turn the crank shaft behind the point cover and set it so you have the T mark for number 1-4 cyl. aligned with the case mark". I dont follow that. And let me clearify the timing too.. You say that the number 3 mark has to be verticle and 20 links from the number 2 arrow. The number 1 arrow points forward (parallel with the top of the head/gasket) I'm I right so far? Anyways thanks for the help, you saved me

Marksman

Comment

Cylinders 1 & 4 have to be at Top Dead Center when you align the cams or you will bend valves. Also there should be no slack in the front section of cam chain. Do you know how to reset your tensioner? Getting a manual is highly recommended.

Comment

Timing

Hi Don. Trust me if it were as easy as getting a manual I would. But they are discontinued for my model and basically the only way of getting one is through e-bay etc..! I really dont want to get into that. So anyways, what do you mean by the "forward" section of the chain? Should the chain between cams be tight? I know how to reset the tensioner, so thats no problem. I have guessed twice with the timing and have turned it over for several minutes each time.. so assuming it was wrong is it possible that I have done damage to my valves as you mentioned? Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!!

Marksman

Comment

manual

Marksman,

I have the factory service manual to your bike. I have a 78 GS750E myself. If you want, email me your mailing address and I'll send you some photocopies of the engine section. It has quite detailed instructions with pictures as well.

Jon
              (Click on my email button below)
              16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
              13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
              78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
              Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
              02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
              X