Loose steering when forks are extended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose steering when forks are extended

I have had quite an ordeal after replacing my fork seals. What started out as so simple has involved getting a bolt stuck in the triple tree, then completely dis-assembling the steering column and replacing the lower portion of the triple tree!!!!!! Well, at least it forced me to inspect the steering column while I was at it. All the bearings were intact, perfect shape, and well greased.

Here's the problem. After I assembled the triple tree/steering column components together, I went to do the steering stem bolt adjustment by tapping a screwdriver with a hammer on the notches. It seemed tight (I didn't want to tighten too much), but I didn't get the feeling that the manual describes (the assembly should turn freely and slightly re-coil when at full-left or right - what the hell does that mean anyhow??????)
    So I assembled everthing else, torqued all the bolts to spec and took it out for a spin. The steering seemed to be nice, even a HINT on the stiff side (but I like that). But as I cruised along, I noticed it would get pretty loose, and then tighten up again. I finally concluded that it would be loose when the forks were extended fully, and would tighten up again when the forks would be somewhat compressed going down the road (yes, I have a bit of stiction). A guy at work helped me inspect the front end to see if anything was loose (by getting the wheel in the air, taking ahold of it and rocking it back and forth, etc), and everything was tight. Wheel bearings were just replaced, tire is correct pressure, bolts are torqued to spec.

What could possibly be the problem here? The bike is a 1978 GS550E.

Chad

UPDATE!!! -

After riding a lot this weekend, I have finally found out the real reason I am experiencing this change in steering stiffness, and it's more simple than I thought, but I still can't figure out how to correct it.

My steering is loose at low speeds (when taking off at a light), and then tightens up and even becomes a bit stiff at around 25 mph +. It really doesn't have anything to do with the fork compression (at least I don't think so)

Is this normal, or do I have a problem here?

Thanks,

Chad

Comment

Support the bike under the front so the wheel just touches the ground I would start by looseing all of the bolts. Then starting from the axel, torque all of the bolts to specs. ALso recheck the steering brg adjustment

Comment

Ae the upper and lower sections of the tree in line?

Comment

Yep, the upper and lower tree parts are in alignment. Front end is nice and straight. All bolts torqued to spec.

Maybe I will try to adjust the steering stem locknut again. Does anyone out there now the proper way to do this? When I adjust it, what kind of feeling should I be getting from the steering when I turn the handlebars from full lock right to left?

A guy here at work said it may be that I need to replace the steering stem locknut, which I will do, due to it being pretty cheap, then do the adjustment using the new locknut.

The bike is a 78 GS550E.

Thanks,

Chad

Comment

Working...
          X