HELP! carb clean, broken gaskets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! carb clean, broken gaskets!

hey everyone, i'm cleaning the carbs on my 1977 gs550. sadly, 2 of the gaskets broke when we took them apart. can i use gasket stuff from a tube ? or am i going to need to special order parts? someone please help. !!!

Thanks Jeff

Re: HELP! carb clean, broken gaskets!

If the gaskets were brittle enough to break, you probably should order replacements for all of them. I know of no gasket sealer that does not deteriorate in gasoline. I wouldnt use a gasket sealer for that purpose.

Earl

Originally posted by Mradiotheater
    hey everyone, i'm cleaning the carbs on my 1977 gs550. sadly, 2 of the gaskets broke when we took them apart. can i use gasket stuff from a tube ? or am i going to need to special order parts? someone please help. !!!

Thanks Jeff
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

me being the idiot i am also put one of teh choke plungers through the carb dip. am i going to need to replace all the rubber and plastic parts for that now?

Comment

I guess that depends on how long the parts were in the dip and what chemical the dip was. If the rubber parts feel soft and particularly squishy rather than semi hard and resiliant as normal, I would say yep, gonna have to replace them. i dont gues you can lose anything by trying to use what you have. All you can lose is some time and having to do the work over.

Earl

me being the idiot i am also put one of teh choke plungers through the carb dip. am i going to need to replace all the rubber and plastic parts for that now?

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks, that's good advice. where can i order new gaskets from? or what store would have them?

Comment

I ordered all my carb jets and gaskets from

Talked to them on the phone and ordered online on different occasions and the guys are helpful, friendly service, prompt shipping and their prices are reasonable.

Earl

Thanks, that's good advice. where can i order new gaskets from? or what store would have them?

Comment

WHY DONT YOU JUST MAKE YOUR OWN GASKETS? ITS REALLY SIMPLE....THERES EVEN A TOOL KIT JUST FOR THAT PURPOSE!

Comment

how would i go about making my own gaskets?

Comment

I dont know what everyone else does, but I have gone to a auto parts store, picked up a sheet of gassket material (in the correct thickness), traced one of my old gaskets onto it and cut out the
                  new one with an X-acto knife. Kinda tedious, but not particularly difficult.

Earl

how would i go about making my own gaskets?

Comment

Have you ever done a cam cover gasket? That looks like it would be a pain in the butt. 8O
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

hey , i'm having a really hard time finding new gaskets for my Carbs. can anyone tell me where I can get them? or where i can find the matieral to make them?

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X