RPM's UP Voltage DOWN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM's UP Voltage DOWN?

Hey guys! I just installed a elextrex RR the other day, and after a day of riding, the battery was dead. I thought that my connections to the RR were bad, so I redid them. I jumped her with the battery from my Bronco and went for a ride. After riding around for a while, I come back, and the battery isn't charged at all. Not only that, the start switch won't work. So I jump her with a screwdriver now. However I went out and jumped it from the truck one more time and tested the voltage at the battery. It was 8.7 at idle and then like 6ish at higher RPM's. The more RPM's I give her the lower the voltage goes. I am thinking maybe the battery is just to dead, but that doesn't completely make sence to me. Also it shouldn't have died in the first place...I have taken correspondence motorcycle repair training, and I am still stumped. Any help would be VERY appreciated.

the regulator rectifier you installed is bad or you have a bad stator!!!

go to the stator pages in the GSR and follow the steps, this will do the trick.

Comment

did you check the connections for the red output wire for the regulator? and is the regulator grounded good?

Comment

Wow you guys rock! Well I think the stator is OK because I was putting out 18 voltz before I replace the RR . I just hooked the ground up to the same little wire that the old one was hooked up to, however I am thinking of just going to the battery...I guess I'll have to get ahold of a battery charger so I can get to testing the stator, just in case. Who knows, maybe the battery is just to dead for the RR to work with...I don't know...

Comment

The red wires are connected to each other with crimp connectors. As are all the yellow wires and the ground.

Comment

18 volts from the stator is way to low!!!!

using a good multimeter connected between the three stator wires you should get atleast 75volts, more is better.

lets say you mark the three wires 1,2,3
            connect one lead to wire one and the other lead to wire two, with the meter set to AC, (not DC!!) start the bike and run the engine up to 5,000rpm and see what the out put is.
            repeat the test with the leads connected to wires 2 and 3, and then 1 and 3, you should get better than 75 volts each time.
            less than 75 volts AC and the stator is bad.

Comment

I was just thinking that focus frenzy. However the 18 voltz I measured before was at the headlight leads and on DC. The more I think about it though, the stator has gone south. Will test ASAP anyway. This place is truley a valuable resource. Thanks to all!

Comment

The suzuki service manual specifies 80 volts AC output at 5000 rpm measured between the three yellow phase wires of the stator. (the R/R is disconnected from the stator for this check)

Earl
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I forgot to tell y'all that I tested the stator continuity and they all check out at 0.9 That is one reason why I didn't think it was bad. However after thinking, it might not be major evidence.

Comment

Working...
                  X