GS1000G Engine blows smoke when on sidestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G Engine blows smoke when on sidestand

Last weekend I was riding for two hours on the open road, then turned into a friend's farm gateway. The bike went from 4,000rpm to idle in about five seconds. I stood the bike on the sidestand to open the farm gate. When I turned around I was surrounded by a cloud of blue smoke. When I road up the driveway the smoke stopped.

I thought I might have bad rings or valve guide seals so I rang the friend I bought the bike from. He had replaced rings and guides not so long ago. But he said that he had heard that leaning the bike on the sidestand makes cylinder #1 draw oil down one of its valves and smoke the exhaust.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks
    Kim

Your valve guides and seals should prevent this...I believe that is where your problem lies...despite what your friend said.

Hap

Comment

I agree with hap, it sounds like valve guide seals.
      my bike could use new stem seals and if I park it on the side stand it will blow a little puff of oil smoke upon start up, but if I put it on the center stand, it wont blow a puff of oil smoke upon start up.

Comment

Sounds like valve guide seals. Mine are probably a bit hard with age (due to a few long periods off the road) and can puff a little on start up (I only can have a sidestand). Sounds like yours are worse. If new seals were put in, the guides may be too worn to work effectively.

Comment

Thanks for your input, guys.

I've got a change of filter and oil planned and will move to a heavier oil. I've been using 10W40 but will go to a 20W60 for older engines. At the moment I'm going through oil faster than I like, about a litre for 1,000kms.

I'm also looking at adding in an oil catch can on the breather pipe and then feed the pipe into the pod air filters for some positive crankcase ventilation. There is a bit too much smoke coming from the breather pipe for me to be happy with it at the moment, but I don't like the idea of pulling the motor down just yet.

Another thought is that I've gummed up the rings and so will be trying some fuel additive to burn off any coke builup.

Kim

Comment

Working...
          X