Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KN airfilters letting water into carbs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KN airfilters letting water into carbs ?

(Suzuki GSX 400 E 1981)

Yesterday I washed my bike.
    Just after I finished washing it, it started raining. ( the bike wasn`t in the garage). After it stopped raining (midnight) I decided to to a little midnight ride. For the first time since I got it, it didn`t fire up imediately.
    I had trouble getting it to start, tried with choke and without. But it started without choke after turning the starter for a while.
    After I came home from the ride, I let the bike cool of, then I tried to start it and fired up just like before.

I was just wondering if it could have something to do with the washing and the raining ?

(by the way, it was also the first time I started my bike at such low temperatures, was down at 10celcius). I didn`t pull the choke on the first time I tried to start it, maybe I should have pulled it out imediately ! ?

Holy ice cream headache, did you say 10 degrees celcius? Man, it was 92 degrees farenhight here today! Too hot for me to ride and too cold for you- the net brings us all together from all over the globe. Do you by any chance have individual pod filters or the stock airbox?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Before I wash my pod equiped '78 GS750, I put a shower cap over the filters. Keeps the water off of 'em. Just remember to remove it before you go riding....
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

getting wet...

Welcome to the wonderfull world of the pod type air filter, they get wet and dont work.
        I hate the damn things. Its not like im a traditionalist (my gs has a turbo for chrissakes) I just dont like things that dont work and cause problems, welcome to the world of pod filters...

Comment

as an alternative to pods, i have removed the air filter box and hung a stock replacement K&N in its place using some misc. unmentionable non standard items from a shelf in my garage--when i go for larger carbs, i will make the inlet hole to the air box larger and look for some K&N off a small car to hang under the seat--definitely non purist here

Comment

I have some double pods on my gs (one oval filter dioes two carbs. Have never had any problem when wet (washing, riding in the rain, left in the rain) When I had the standard plugs caps I did sometimes find it hard to start after a wash as the water was shorting out the plug leads.

Comment

I dont know if this is possible on your setup but take a look at outerwears they are water resistant very breathable covers that you can put around your k&N. I use them on my Yamaha banshee and never have had water problems yet. However I am not saying you can play submarine with these things on!

check it out at: outerwearsracing.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips.
                I will try to make some caps to put on the filters while washing.
                My bike has worked like normal , after the first start after the washing. I just got so concerned when it wouldn`t fire right up, all my concerns are gone now

Comment

Working...
                X