No announcement yet.

Just got a GS550E with some issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well we have a new issue. This one is intermittant.

On the ride I did on sunday, the bike stalled about a half mile from my house. after a lot of futzing around we got the bike to start. We thought I had run out of gas.

Sputtering and wheezing the bike made it to the gas station. We filled the tank, it was still a pain to start, but it started, and we begun our ride.

We got to our first destination and we stopped the bikes, did our errand and left again. My bike behaved perfectly. However, after leaving our seccond destination, the bike made it about a mile before dieing again. Starved of fuel.

After much finagling (mostly with the petcock, some futzing with the choke) the bike started again, this time we made it to the light at the onramp to the highway. the bike died again. We pushed the bike off hte side of the road and into the gas station.

We took the tank off, and found the fuel line from the petcock to only have a few drips of fuel in it. I sucked on the vacuum line to see if I could test for the petcock functioning properly...... And gas poured out at a prodigous rate. So the petcock seems to be working ok. I re-attached the hose from the tank to the vacuum line on the carbs and the bike started and we took off. not even a hickup from there home.

We rode with large throttle openings so the appearant vacuum would be low to the carbs. So... I'm really not sure what the deal is here.

I"m going to be replacing the vacuum line from the carb to the petcock. I was seriously considdering cleaning and chekcing my petcock as well, but with how fuel flowed from it when I sucked on the vacuum line I think it's ok.

Does it sound like I'm going down the right path? Should I remove and clean that petcock anyway?
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
      Should I remove and clean that petcock anyway?
      YES! Take it apart, check the rubbers....replace if needed. Petcock rebuild kits are also at www.crc2onlinecatalog.com

First thing though, make sure your vacume line isn't getting kinked when you put your tank on/isn't too long. Check the routing of the vacume line also, make sure the tank isn't actually pinching it against the frame, this happened to me one time.

If you have a fuel filter installed, check to see that its rust/gunk free. If you do not have a fuel filter.................GET ONE!

-D

Comment

Well, I put 230 miles on the bike since last report. The bike runs well. But if I stall it at a traffic light it can take me two or three minutes to get the bike restarted. so long as the bike is running it's a happy machine.

There's a ticking noise. And it seems to be dependant on engine temprature. I think I have a loose exhaust fitting... I'll be investigating that soon. I investigated the route that it migth be a bottom end problem. I put in heavier oil to see if that would change the nature of the noise. It did not. I will be going back to the valvoline 10w40 that was in the bike previously.

Comment

One word

ebay

Terry

Comment

What makes you think a responce like that has any meaning or is going to help me at all? The first page has another person who said the same thing to me, and it doens't help.

"one word, ebay" What am I supposed to do with that? Do you want me to buy a new exhaust system? Do you want me to buy syntentic 10w40 oil? Do you want me to buy a clue?

*grumbles*

</flame>

Comment

Relax my friend. You mentioned investigating the lower end, I think what they mean by e-bay is if you type in your bike you will see all sorts of parts as well as engines come up. They are just offering help.

As far as the ticking noise, do you have a temp gage on the bike? Mine got reall hot the other day when stuck in traffice where I could hear a valve start ticking. I had to shut if off and let it cool a bit.

Just a thought?

Comment

What makes you think a responce like that has any meaning or is going to help me at all? The first page has another person who said the same thing to me, and it doens't help.

"one word, ebay" What am I supposed to do with that? Do you want me to buy a new exhaust system? Do you want me to buy syntentic 10w40 oil? Do you want me to buy a clue?

*grumbles*
                Excuse me. I was trying to help. But, since you don't need help, I'll just ignore you.

Terry

Comment

TheNose: Nowhere did I say I didn't need help. I said your responce wasn't helpfull. This is the seccond time I've recieved a responce that's just as generic as yours and it's much the same as a doctor saying "you're sick" and not giving you any form of treatment. If I respond to a thread of yours, you can expect a usefull responce from me.

DmPlatt: I've seriously considdered putting a temprature guage on my bike, I'm not sure where the best place to put it would be. Oil temprature would give a good indicator of the overall temprature of the bike. But head temprature is the more important temprature if you dont' want to hurt the bike. It's also the reading that would flucturate the quickest... and is the temprature that getting off the throttle a little would manage to help the best.

Where do you have your sensor mounted? What kind of guage did you buy?

If my memory serves me. The ticking isn't there right as I start the bike. As it warms up it starts the noise, then it goes away when the bikes fully warmed up. The ticking will come back if I ride a signifigant distance with the engine at low rpms and low throttle openings. So it does seem to be exhaust heat related.

Comment

TheNose: Nowhere did I say I didn't need help. I said your responce wasn't helpfull. This is the seccond time I've recieved a responce that's just as generic as yours and it's much the same as a doctor saying "you're sick" and not giving you any form of treatment. If I respond to a thread of yours, you can expect a usefull responce from me.

DmPlatt: I've seriously considdered putting a temprature guage on my bike, I'm not sure where the best place to put it would be. Oil temprature would give a good indicator of the overall temprature of the bike. But head temprature is the more important temprature if you dont' want to hurt the bike. It's also the reading that would flucturate the quickest... and is the temprature that getting off the throttle a little would manage to help the best.

Where do you have your sensor mounted? What kind of guage did you buy?

If my memory serves me. The ticking isn't there right as I start the bike. As it warms up it starts the noise, then it goes away when the bikes fully warmed up. The ticking will come back if I ride a signifigant distance with the engine at low rpms and low throttle openings. So it does seem to be exhaust heat related.
                    Okay, my fault. I re-read the thread and realized that I had responded to the wrong thread. Sorry.

Terry

Comment

it's still morning to me.. so I can be a bit snippy as well. Sorry :-/

Comment

I had the same symptoms with my bike seeming to run out of fuel. I have a fuel filter and it seems like the fuel wasn't flowing through the filter. To make it work when it stalled on me, I know it sounds stupid, I blew on the gas tank opening and forced gas to flow through the filter. It seems after the filter got saturated that it flowed with no problem.

I don't know if you have a filter, so this may not apply.

Terry

Comment

Sorry, double post.

Comment

Now that's a path I can investigate. I know it's time for new fuel line, but the only stuff available to me is the thick wall stuff. I'll check that out sometime this week.

Comment

Good chance your ticking is loose valve tappet(s). They commonly tick at first and quiet down as the motor heats up.
                              For the stalling, I would first try replacing the vacuum line. Then I would clean the gas tank cap vent and make sure the two floatbowl vent tubes are clear and not kinked. Be sure the air filter is clean. Adjust your mixture screws for the highest rpm and then re-set the idle to 1,100 rpm with the idle adjuster knob. Do this adjustment on a warm engine.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

make sure when getting vac lines and fuel lines, get hose made for fuel and/or emissions, other rubber hoses will turn to hard plastic when exposed to gas and gas vapor.

ryan
                                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                                82 Kat 1000 Project
                                05 CRF450x
                                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                                X