Tach cable lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach cable lube?

What should I use to lube up the tach cable on m GS400? I'm getting a lot of bounce. I tried graphite, but it didn't help any

White lithium grease should be fine.

Comment

Re: Tach cable lube?

I used plain ol' motor oil - if you're like me there's always a little extra oil around the shop for topping up things. Disconnect both ends of the cable. Make a cardboard funnel for the top, pour in an ounce or two, hang it up, with something underneath to catch the drips and let sit over night.

Low tech, but cheap and effective.

Originally posted by spots25
      What should I use to lube up the tach cable on m GS400? I'm getting a lot of bounce. I tried graphite, but it didn't help any

Comment

I put a little bearing grease in the tach head. Never lubed the cable itself.
        My old tach bounced a little more as time went by. I put in an NOS one recently and it works perfectly. I think most of the time a bouncing needle (tach or speedo) is the instrument itself. As long as the cable is routed correctly.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Another thing you can do is turn the tac upside down and let some light oil soak into the mech. If there is any corousion in the adapter it will bounce

Comment

well, I guess I'll be tearing my tach apart tomorrow... I hope its not too hard to put back together 8)

Comment

I use the bearing grease, too. It seems to work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                Another thing you can do is turn the tac upside down and let some light oil soak into the mech. If there is any corousion in the adapter it will bounce
                Just fill the cable adapter with oil don't take the tach apart

Comment

Just fill the cable adapter with oil don't take the tach apart
                  oh... good thing I didn't get around to it today... lol

Comment

If your tach is anything like mine, it's a sealed unit. Has to be cut open.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Ordered tach cable from Dennis Kirk Thur at about 6:30 p.m. had it next day at noon!

Comment

Lubing the cable can make it smoother. Eventually the cable sheath wears, making it a little jearky. Newer cables last a lot longer, must be a benefit of technology.

Comment

Does your tach bounce at all rpm's? On my 850 both my speedo and my tach were bouncing at higher speeds, though not at idle. I changed cables a lot to no avail. My mechanic said there is some sort of bushing inside the instrument that dries out over time and causes that. He said he opened up the back and sprayed some sort of lube into both gluages, and they both work fine now. I just finished a 3500 mile trip with no needle bounce. I did not do the lubing myself, so I don't know how much if any disassembly was required.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Anyone know what type of lubricant would work best? Would WD40 be too thin?

Comment

Both my speedo and tach were making crazy loud noises and bouncing alot. I unscrewed the cables and sprayed some Liquid Wrench (blue-green can) up in where the cable goes, and it seemed to quiet them quite a lot, and significantly reduce the needle flutter. Not perfect, but much better.

I imagine that some more LW and time would further improve things as it gets worked in the mechanism.

I had similar success with WD-40 in a '92 Volkswagen Speedometer that was noisy in cold weather, and PB Blaster in another '92 Volkswagen's speedo. Although, the PB Blaster made the needle read super high for several days but then it settled into normal operation. Not sure why that happened, but it did.

Comment

Working...
                              X