Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question - Just checked my valve clearances...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - Just checked my valve clearances...

The valve clearance limits on my bike are 0.03-0.08mm. The smallest feeler guage I have is 0.038mm(0.0015"). 4 of the 8 clearances are less than the 0.038mm but if I apply a little upward pressure on the cam the feeler guage will just slide in telling me that the clearance is right at the bottom end of (or just under) the limit. The other 4 clearances are in the 0.05 - 0.055mm range.

I guess my question is do I need smaller shims or am I ok to continue running the bike this way? The bike runs pretty good but I don't think it has seen much maintenance in several years (I just got the bike this year) so I thought I'd check a few things. Next step would be carb cleaning and sync.

The next smaller shims will likely take me to the upper clearance limit. Would this be better? More clearance as opposed to less?

Thanks for any replies. I am just a little unfamiliar with the importance of more or less valve clearance. If more info is required to post a response, please let me know.

In a ideal world, less would be better, the engine would be quieter, you would have slightly more valve lift and slightly longer valve timing.
    But running the valves at the lower limit would cause you to need to check clearances at shorter intervals till you had become aquanted with the wear patern of your engine.
    would the four valves with clearances at the lower limit be the exaust valves?
    I recomend that you go ahead and change the valve shims on those valves.
    it is also a good idea to keep a log of maintanance performed, including what the clearances are for the valves, before and after you adjust them, that way when it is time to check them in the future you will have a referance to judge wear patterns on the valves.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I am certainly recording all measurements for future reference.

Two of the intake and two of the exhaust valves were at the low end of (or just under) the clearance limit.

I wish I could find a smaller feeler guage that would tell me exactly what the clearance is on some of those tight ones. Can't seem to find a guage smaller than 0.038mm (0.0015").

Comment

Originally posted by Duke
        Thanks for your thoughts. I am certainly recording all measurements for future reference.

Two of the intake and two of the exhaust valves were at the low end of (or just under) the clearance limit.

I wish I could find a smaller feeler guage that would tell me exactly what the clearance is on some of those tight ones. Can't seem to find a guage smaller than 0.038mm (0.0015").
        You're lucky to have that 0.038mm blade...I guess there are no smaller available...
        but have you tried this: if you know the shim size, try to change one size smaller shim. then you can use a bigger feeler gauge blade to measure the new clearance and calculate the old clearance knowing the difference between the old and new shim.

Comment

You're right, that would work. I just wanted to get some opinions on the clearances before I went and got the shims from the dealer.
          I didn't want to go and buy the shims if I didn't need really need them.

Comment

First of all, if your dealer is anything like mine, you'll save $$$ right off the bat going with cycle-recycle (even including shipping) for the shims and the cam cover gasket.

Next, try here:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

They carry 0.001" shimstock, which serves pretty well as a lower limit feeler gauge for this application. They claim a tolerance of ?.0002", which is certainly more accurate than guessing how much thinner your clearance is from your 0.0015" gauge.

The cost for a small sheet is about 3 bucks, plus shipping, which isn't that bad at McMaster-Carr. That should be roughly a lifetime supply, when used as a feeler gauge...

As you probably suspected, many others have been in exactly the same situation.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Why dont you use an american feeler guage(thousands of an inch) and convert the readings to MM ??

Comment

Does anyone know of some aftermarket company that sells these tappet shims other than a Suzuki dealer? The dealers want quite a bit.

Comment

Does anyone know of some aftermarket company that sells these tappet shims other than a Suzuki dealer? The dealers want quite a bit.
                  hey, why don't You teke the old shims (that need to be replaced) to the repair shop and change them to new...?

Here where I live that system works. Normally the shims don't wear so they are as good as money... some repair shops charge 1$ per a shim change, some do it for free.

p.s., have You already checked all clearances and shims...if you're lucky, you may already have all the shims you need...just put them in the right places...

Comment

Thanks. I talked to the local dealer and he said they do swap the shims for $5 each. Pretty good deal for them but still cheaper than new shims.
                    I just hope they have all the sizes I need.

I was hoping I would be able to shuffle my own shims aroud but I've only got two sizes and they aren't what I need.

Comment

Working...
                    X