'79 GS750E (First post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS750E (First post)

Okay, I've been lurking and reading long enough. It's time for me to ask a dumb question or two...or three...or more..

1. The choke cable on my bike is missing, the previous owner had "trouble" with using automotive cables (heh) and just used his hand. My question is this: If i were to order a choke cable from, say, Dennis Kirk or something similar-- is it going to be the full assembly, with the plunger and jacketing and everything, or is teh plunger end of the choke a different part?
    2. Also- is there an easy way to open up the housing for a speedometer? I've read that you can do it with a dremel if you've got a steady hand-- are they sealed up from the factory? Is WD-40 or something similar safe to use to lubricate the inside once opened?
    3. I've read about the modification to the GS' using a 530 chain. I looked up and crossreferenced a bunch of part numbers from Sunstar, and I located a 15 CS and 41 tooth rear sprocket-- they're part numbers that are mentioned relative to this modification-- is it safe to assume it's correct? Are the shaft diameters different b/w models? If I were to get the recommended set for my year of bike, would I have to worry too much about the actual shaft being bigger/smaller than the hole in the sprocket?
    4. I've been perusing the forums like crazy trying to find the most popular brand of chains used among the most forumites with the fewest instances of problems-- have any horror stories related to a particular brand? I've been considering Tsubaki, D.I.D. and EK as my primaries.

Thanks in advance for the assistance-- it's greatly appreciated

--Chris

No such thing as a dumb question

1. The choke cable is sold as a complete assembly. The OEM Suzuki part costs ~ $22.00.
    2. Gauges show up on ebay all the time. Unless you have the steady hands & skills of a master jeweler, I'd have a working speedometer on your bike before tearing into a sealed speedometer.
    3. The 530 chain & sprocket conversion is a great idea. I did it on my 79 750e & I like the results. Chain brand dosen't seen too important - all the brands you mention are good. Make sure you get high quality, high strength O Ring chain. Cheap chains wear out VERY quickly. 2 valve 750 motors used the same sprocket for the entire production run.

Hope this helps

Terry

Comment

Buy the chain from rep dealer/ Name brand O ring X ring type Doing the conversion you will probably have to get 120 links??? and shorten to fit, USE a rivit link if possible. Do not overtighten the chain adjustment Too tight will kill it in short time

Comment

thanks for the replies.

I calculated 115.7 links, so I was planning on a 120 link chain, and cutting to fit my application.

Comment

anyone else have anything to add? i think i've settled on a DID chain (530) and two sunstar sprockets, as well as a new air filter, new NGK plugs-- the carbs have been synched already, so that's done-- the things i gotta check are the r/r, stator, and check the coil outputs. if the electrical checks out okay, i'd like to change to a dynaS ignition to get rid of the points (they're kinda old right now) and update the coils.

(excited)

Comment

i'd like to change to a dynaS ignition to get rid of the points (they're kinda old right now) and update the coils.
            Good idea. I have a dyna s & new coils on my 79. While you're at it, you might want to install tapered roller bearings on your steering head.
            How's the brakes? If the brake lines are looking old & brittle, upgrade to a stainless steel set.
            How are the shocks & forks? Upgrading here is money well spent.
            Then......RIDE THE WHEELS OFF IT!!!!
            I've managed to pit 13000 miles on mine in 18 months

Terry

Comment

gs copper

does any one have any drawing or any thing revelent to making a slightly copper version of a 78 to 81 550gs and 750gs have some good frams for guinnea pig"s the gs series are as we know a good bike i am thinking of just a 3 to 4 in lift on front fork"s i know i will have to cut frame for proper angle and alignment iam just an old guy and i think done right it would look awesome because of the bulky look of the 750 hope this is not a dumb question

ps this page got me back on the bikes thanks guys and girl"s

Comment

If you want to stick to the stock ratio(2.7) and change to a 530 chain, you need a JTF513-17 front, and a JTR816-46. It is recommended to go with the larger front sprocket due to possible clearance problems, although I believe Earl went with a 15 and has had no grief. I went with a 17 and 45 because I wanted a different ratio,(2.65). I don't remember the brand of chain I put on.
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

thanks more

Comment

530 chain conversion woes

I havent been on the forum in quite some time. Had to move to texas. took bike(Being rebuilt and modded) so now i have some money to finish it. Anyway, here is my problem. 79 750 E with an 83 swingarm and fatter tire. Everything is lined up perfectly, as I have an offset front sprocket)5/8) but the problem is the clutch cover hits sprocket so i cant get cover on.
                    What am i overlooking? anyone ran into this? P.S the rear shocks are just to hold up the frame. they are crap. havent saved enough money yet for ohlins.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2009, 08:25 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Working...
                    X