Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 1100E oil leak...filter cover issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100E oil leak...filter cover issues?

Hey all,
    New to the list, and recently new owner of a 1983 GS1100E and loving it.
    I changed the oil and filter recently and have developed a leak at the oil filter/cooler cover. I have attempted to retourque the cover (gently) to no avail.
    I thought that the cover seal that came with the oil filter ( sorry, don't remember the brand) was a little on the scrawy side.
    Is this a common leak point? or will the seal expand with time and use (I have only put about 50 miles on the bike since the oil change).

thanks for any help.

Derrick
    Tampa, FL

Sounds like's the o-ring in the cover is not seated. Pop the cover off and double check the o-ring.

I spent 4 years at McDill in the 80's, gotta love ABC's :twisted:
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Derrick,

I have the same bike and have had the same problem. My bike has a Lockhart oil cooler and the Lockhart kit included the oil filter cover with fittings for the oil lines. I think the newer cover o-rings are thinner than the ones I got years ago. I never had a real leak, just 'seepage' around the cover. I took the cover and 'milled' a bit of the mating surface by placing 320 grit sandpaper on my workbench and running the cover over it. I then used 400 and 600 grit sandpaper to get a smoother finish on the mating surface. I no longer get any seepage around the cover. The proper way to do this would be to have a machinist mill a couple thousandths of an inch off the cover but my garage mechanic method worked just fine.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Joe is right. The replacement "O" rings for the oil filter cover are thinner now than the original "O" ring, so sealing is a problem I too have had. I found that a light bead of Three Bond 1104 in the groove in the cap solves the problem. If I felt frisky, I would get a sheet of #320 wet/dry paper, a piece of glass or something equally flat and take it down a couple thou or so. Joe did it right, I took the lazy way out. :-)

The thin "O" rings are the stock Suzuki replacements. Possibly some aftermarkets would be thicker, but I havent checked.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Funny, I just had the same experience, and thought of maybe putting some Yamabond on there but gave it a go with a new gasket only, thinking I must have pinched the funky 'o' ring. So far no leaks but if so I'll goo it up lightly, as it's easy enough of an area to remove during an oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

The thin "O" rings are the stock Suzuki replacements. Possibly some aftermarkets would be thicker, but I havent checked.

Earl
            I have tried the Fram replacement filters and the O-ring that comes with them is also thinner.

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Joe, in reading an evaluation of different brands of oil filters recently, Fram was rated the poorest. You might want to consider using anything else. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy

I have tried the Fram replacement filters and the O-ring that comes with them is also thinner.

Joe
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

thanks for the help folks, I guess I will pull the cover again, then decide how I am going to deal with it...

thanks again,
                Derrick

Comment

Yep, the Fram o-ring can be undersize. I bought a new Suzuki o-ring to solve my leaking problem. I've noticed that some Fram o-rings are considerably thicker than others: The thick ones might seal, but the thin ones are going to leak.

Comment

I just changed the oil on my 83 GS1100E that hadn't been on the road in several years! Well, after about 50 miles, I noticed a small oil leak, appears to be coming from the oil filter cover, which I had just had off last weekend! I also had installed a "new" fram filter and O-ring when I changed the oil, and thanks to this great website, I already think I've figured out the problem! I'll be taking it off and replacing with another aftermarket gasket next weekend, I'll report back with the results. This site is friggin' awesome!!!!
                    Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

I've never had a leakage problem. I use HiFlo Filtro #133. It comes with 2 o-rings, so I can use it my 750 or 1100s!\\/
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Lots of reports of thinner o-rings that come with aftermarket filters. Fram seems to have the worst repututation. Funny, because I usually prefer Fram filters for my cars. Anyway, I always use the oem filter and o-ring, and have never had a leakage problem. Use a little (just a little) grease or vaseline to keep the o-ring in the groove during the install.

Comment

Working...
                        X