Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Suzuki GS425 Powered Kawasaki Mojave ATV - info needed

Hello,
    I have a few questions about my 1979 Suzuki GS425 Engine.
    1. has anyone converted a GS425 to electronic ignition?
    2. Where can I get replacement Needle & Seats for the Carburetors?
    3. Do the GS400.GS425,GS450, & GS500 share the same engine mount measurements?
    Thanks for any help..in advance.

We installed the GS425 Engine in my 1991 Kawasaki Mojave Sport ATV. It is not done yet, but the first test & tune ride is already done.
    For more information and many pictures of the GS engine transplant, click link below:
    Get the premium .com domain you deserve. Seamless and professional transactions. Payment plans available.

Any feedback or comments on the project are welcome.

Can't answer your question, but that is one awesome write up!! Bet that thing will run like a scalded dog now!!!!

Comment

Very nice work, don't forget to up the fuel without an airbox or it will melt or something

Comment

GS425 Mojave Update!

Hello Guys,
        I brought the GS425 Mojave home from the machine shop tonight. The first good test & tune was tonight. It runs good. After the exhaust pipes are made, and my new air filters are installed - It will run sweet. It pulls effortless wheelies now. I had to take it easy because I did not have my grab bar on it untill after the test ride. The bike has a LOT more torque than the stock engine. I will be running it in my field tomorrow, so I will be able to get a better opinion on it. I will post here again tomorro more in depth.
        I am waiting on a bunch of new parts from CWR-Greg
        rear sprocket
        chain
        air filters
        swing arm bearings
        front bumper

Then all it needs is the custom exhaust pipes! Oh yeah - I almost forgot , then disassembled completely, frame reinforced, cleaned, sandblasted, painted, & reassembled.

it is going to be a Bad Machine.

Comment

hey that looks awsome, i happen to be interested in tackling the same project , i gots a gs400 twin engine in good condition laying around and i have actually been looking for an older four wheeler for around $500...im hoping to do all the work myself and come out with a nice finished product...im also hoping to smoke all my buddys on there bikes and quads with this one....i took a look at your sight and it looks pretty simple except for the bearing retainer you had to build into the clutch cover...give me some updates on how it runs... 8)

Comment

Thats sweet dude! I'm a huge sport quad fan. I've got a full on race 416ex. Never the less I've thought about doing what you did, I've seen 1000cc ninja motors in quads before at swap meets and they are definetly sweet. Congrads on your build man.-darren

Comment

wow thats insane if you think about it a engine that size on a quad, i never imagined that anyone would do that..i am hoping to get it finished before half way into summer....i have a couple question tho if u dont mind...since it is now on a quad and will moving at lower speeds will the engine over heat or will it be fine i have been thinking about a 10 inch round fan infront of the engine to cool...also an oil cooler...im not sure how things will turn out but well see!

Comment

Hello to all,

bboxer,
                Good luck on your GS400 quad project.

A question for you.. Is the GS400 and GS425 the same block? IF so the GS400 engine should fit in my custom mounts. So, you need a mojave and a set of custom mounts for your GS400. If you decide to mount it in a mojave, drop me a note and I will hook you up with my machinist. He can make another set of the mounts like mine. I have heard a Kawasaki Lakota ATV has more room in the frame than a Mojave.

I am not certain yet if a fan or oil cooler will be required. I am thinking about installing a oil cooler just in case.

Hey Speedy400
                Thanks for the kind words. I have seen a few quads with 1000cc engines & 4 cylinders in them - set up for drag racing. I still want mine to be a Rideable Trail Machine. If you have a 416cc honda 400ex, you don't need to to what I did. You already have a nice ATV. I am too cheap to buy a nice ATV, so I am making my own. I am a mechanic and my riding buddy is a machinist - so we can do this without "farming out" any of the work to anyone else. This keeps cost down a lot. I will have less in this quad when done than most people have in bolt on parts for thier quads.

And the nice thing is, I am the only one that Has to Like it, which I do. I imagine no matter where I go to Ride - there will not be another quad like mine. I am trying to get the Exhaust Guy on the phone to arrange a time to get my pipes made.

Comment

Yes i think the 400 and 425 are identical except mayb pistons 3 mm bigger to make the extra cc's...i think even a 450 would. any of the early suzuki twins should use the same mountings. The 400 thru 450 look identical when it comes to motor mounts the only difference would be internal parts to make up different cc's and power and oiling systems. Oh and by the way buddy works in a metal shop so any custom fabricated parts needed can be made by em. The only problem is that i cant seem to find a cheap old beat up fourwheeler that i could use, its been a long time and i still cant find one. I have 3 friends already who have bought either a quad or dirtbike and i really dont care for spending that kinda money on a toy i wouldnt get money back for im still in school and i think i should be doing other things with it...car college ect...i have a totally rebuilt 400 so i figure why not throw somthin together thats not any worse then what they got. go riding .spank em...and in the ill make some money off it anyways when there sittin there crying because they lost a grand or two haahahahaha....lol So ya i had the bike together before and i was driving it around the roads and somone called the police, he gave me a warning so i took it seriously. The bikes gone now .

Comment

That's pretty neat.

Dyna makes an electronic ignition for the twins but you need to keep the mechanical advance.

I've been told the GS500 is a direct swap for the GS400E but I do not know for sure. The 400E has plain bearings but has a very similar case to the 400, 425, 450, 500 cases which have ball bearings.

What kind of difference in redline is there between the Suzuki and Kawasaki engines? I'm thinking your top speed is going to be waaaaaaaay to high. I'd put a gigantic rear sprocket on so that idling in 1st is at a snails pace.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

I have seen the electronis ignitions im goin to stick to the points since there new and i know how to maintain them...im not sure about the redlines im sure there all pretty simular tho-9, 10, 11, thousand i dont even know because i lost the tach for it and i forget what it looks like ..the thing is with the smaller wheels it should be slower then the bike was...but if i want to slow it more i could always use a small sprocket on the front like u had to and a bigger one in the back...all i know is that i wouldnt want it to reach more then lets say 110 120 thats plenty fast ...besides lower end torque for a quad is much better then going fast and killing yourself...100 is plenty fast. Im talkin about k/m obviously

Comment

Working...
                      X