No announcement yet.

Building a KiwiKat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Katman. Glad you are okay and back in action after that nasty business with the cables. I have used a 91-92 GSXR1100 wiring loom. The switch gear for blinkers and lights etc is from a later water cooled WP/R/S. Unfortunately I ended up with male to male connectors between the switches and the loom plugs, so I had to find female plugs for the switchblocks, and repin and rewire them all. It really turned into a major piece of work with all of those pins! Next time I will use a GSXR1100 WP/R/S loom. The only changes that I had to make really was the shortening of the loom itself, and the matching of the 4 wires to the GSX ignitor (because the plugs are different). I had to splice the rev counter trigger wire (black with red trace) from the GSXR loom onto one of the ignitor trigger wires on the small GSX ignitor wires. I left the standard GSX rectifier in place and just linked 2 of the 3 alternator output wires together (to do away with the silly 90 volts to the headlight switch system of the early GSX's) wired in the RED out put wire from the rectifier/regulator straight into the RED input charging wire of the GSXR1100 wiring loom.
    I noticed that most of the wiring on the original GSX loom and that on the GSXR1100 loom were mostly the same colour convention. So sorry Katman, I don't have a wiring diagram, but contact me if I can be of assistance.

Comment

I have been chasing one of those Yoshi points covers for about 10 years now, including writing to Yoshimura Japan, U.K and USA. They do come up occasionally on EBAY. Anyway I thought I had got lucky and finally bought one off EBAY. I paid US$100 for it plus about US$75 postage back to N.Z. (We really get tucked with postage from the States over here). The cover arrived after a few days, and I was feeling really pleased with myself. I unscrewed the existing cover and offered up the new beaut "Yoshi" cover onto my engine. Well..............it's about 4mm smaller in diameter than the original, no 2 holes lined up for the 3 bolts (I spent quite some time with a small rat tail file) and the offset tag at the bottom of the cover to engine case is out of rotation by about 5 degrees. Yes, unfortunately another cheap copy and rip off from some faceless B@#stad. The thickness of the alloy is no more than a standard cover too. I am not into slagging people off, but I am fuming a bit over this episode. So Guys, watch it with these covers.

Comment

Looks very hot. 8)

Comment

Hey katanakid,
          Great looking seat and suspension parts. I don't really like the way the exhaust runs now to be honset. Looks too ''fabricated'' with the strange curve in the linkpipe. But hey, it's your ride. I'd have choosen for a seatpipe but then for good ''flow''you would've needed to loose the monoshock and up the pipe through there. It'll look even better when the colors are matched!

Grtz, Marco.

Comment

I have finally found the time to have a go at making up a paint scheme. I sprayed it myself to see what it would look like. The wheels are powdercoated in Repsol orange. I still need to fit the braided lines to the front calipers and make up a proper rear exhaust mount. I will try and hang it off the rear peg mount.

[img][/img]

Comment

NICE! Gives it a real ''modern-kat'' look.

Marco.

Comment

Magnificent effort! I just love that rear end body work, best I've ever seen on a Kat I would say. And the paint job is well-thought out and very schmick. The Repsol Orange for the wheels is a master stroke; reminds me of those 'Dark' Ducati Monsters with their orange wheels. Top stuff.

Now is that an oil thermostat I spy on your oil cooler lines there? What brand? And what temp. is it set to divert the oil to the cooler?

Mike.

Comment

I like the paint. It looks good.

Comment

Hi Mike, yes it's a Lockhart unit i purchased with the rear adaptor. Temp is preset, but not sure at what degrees, sorry.

Comment

It looks sweet man. I love the color scheme.

Comment

Very Awesome! I love the paint job, it's very classy. For heaven's sake though, find a new stainless header! It's definately the weak link in an otherwise totally sweet bike. Keep up the good work.

Comment

That is one HOT project you've got coming together!

Nicely executed!!

Look forward to seeing it when you proclaim it "finished!!!"

Steve 8)

Comment

OK, a few more questions/ suggestions, which I hope don't sound too picky because even if you left it as it is, it would be a great bike. But Katman, you don't seem like someone who's happy with 98%, so here goes:
                            1. What will you be doing with the space between the rear bodywork and the side-covers? Perhaps that gap needs filling... and if it does, you could 'mock-up' some bodywork with clay, and make fibre-glass extensions for the rear bodywork so that it meets the side-covers. Either that or find a way to make the rear bodywork look less 'chopped off' underneath the seat there.
                            2. The bracket that holds your muffler to the sub-frame... hmm... it would be much nicer if it was some sort of cast aluminium item. Or perhaps a bracket that visually matches the brackets you've got for the pillion footpegs.
                            3. Ditto the earlier post re. your exhaust headers. Chrome would be too shiny; but stainless would be round about right, I think.
                            4. Will you be going for pod filters or an airbox for the carbies?

Keep up the excellent work!

Mike.

Comment

Kkid, That is a really impressive bike. Terrific job, keep it up. Ray
                              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I like it Katman. The only suggestion I have is give it to me! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X