X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gr8 job fella

very sporty look on the ole kat.... =D>

Comment

I have located an 1135 (1150) engine, so last weekend lifted out the GSX1100 motor that I had "loaned" the bike and bolted in the 1150 unit. I noticed that the rocker box on the 1150 is a lot narrower than the GSX1100 unit, approx an inch or so. Probably to allow for the fairing on the later bikes?

Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2006, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Here is a pic of the GSX1100 and the 1150 engines side by side for comparison. The clutch cover, sprocket cover, ignition cover and alternator cover are very different in shape, but the bolt hole configurations are the same. Another thing that I noticed is that the GSX1100 has a mechanical ignition advance rotor and the ignitor unit has 2 wires. The 1150 has a fixed ignition rotor and the advance curve is taken care of in the ignitor box. The 1150 ignitor unit to the amplifier has 4 wires.
        The 1150 amplifier unit is quite a bit larger than the 1100 unit (that sits on the side of the battery carrier), so a bit of engineering has to be done to fit the bigger 1150 unit, or hide it somewhere. Just a heads up: the 1150 ignitor and amplifier unit will run okay with the standard GSX1100/Kat ignition coils.

Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2006, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Here is a pic of the 1150 motor intact in the braced Kat frame. All mounts are identical to the 1100 engine so no problems mounting into the frame. I did have to take the rocker box off to get the engine into the frame, probably would not be necessary with a standard Kat frame though.
          The 1150 sprocket cover is a lot longer (rearwards) than the GSX1100 unit and will not fit into the Katana frame. Although the GSX1100 sprocket cover will bolt up to the 1150 engine, the gear change rod where the gearchange bolts onto the spline is about half an inch shorter, so there is not enough spline poking through to attach the linkage to. The alternative would be to pull off the clutch cover and put in the longer gear change rod. I decided to stick with the 1150 cover and cut down the rear of the cover to match the rear profile of the 1100 unit. I used a cutting wheel on the disc grinder and finished with files. I also had to grind away clearance on the inside of the cover to accomodate the 14mm offset sprocket and chain. I was a bit dubious of the 1150 black paint scheme, but now it is all together in the bike, I think it looks quite good. I still have to sort out the rear tailpiece, rear can and seat yet. I am also building a set of smoothbores to take care of the carburetion. I will post better pics in the weekend.

Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2007, 07:28 AM.

Comment

You need to take the rocker cover or the sump off to get any GSX1100 motor into or out of the frame.

Dink

Comment

I disagree Dink. My GSX1100 motor went into my 750 kat frame with just a trolley jack, 2 pairs of hands and some creative wiggle-ing.

Originally posted by Dink View Post
              You need to take the rocker cover or the sump off to get any GSX1100 motor into or out of the frame.

Dink

Comment

I have rebuilt a set of smoothbore 33mm carbs with new needle and seats, gaskets, and idle air screws etc. The 1150 engine that I am running is bog standard with the exception of the Harris system with race baffle.
                Below is a pic of the Smoothies installed with K&N pods. (RC 0981 Pods)

Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2007, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Had a new seat made up, and also had some plastic fabrication work done to marry up the tailpiece and side covers.

Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2007, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by katanakid View Post
                    Had a new seat made up, and also had some plastic fabrication work done to marry up the tailpiece and side covers.
                    gorgeous kat m8.... but i must say i preferred the gap between the tail and the side panels... it's a raw, almost unfinished look that is cool... and that large tailpipe?... please put the harris back on... makes the old girl look too heavy imo. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by katanakid View Post
                      I have rebuilt a set of smoothbore 33mm carbs with new needle and seats, gaskets, and idle air screws etc.
                      Were they in need of a rebuild or did you just find them a bit wooly and hard to tune?

Also, I think your bike looks more "finished" now and more like a pro build.
                      Although the retro part of me says that theres some thing 'right' about having the brake resevior showing under the seat like the original bike, there is also something special about a project bike looking like it could have been designed in the factory :-)

Comment

Super thread revival.... I agree with Sparki. The short can looked so much better IMO

Comment

Just a quick note to say I purchased this great machine from Katanakid and will update here on the rest of its journey over time. Presently it is getting geared up for certification. It is a great machine to ride. It is getting a minor shock mounting location adjustment first. There has been a little work on getting the carbies to shut off and not be quite as hard on the wrist. The bike is in primer and I'll be considering colour options over time. It is intended for high KM's commuting and open track days.

I love this bike it is a total dream come true. The exhaust is different from the images here so I will get some more recent pictures up over time. Probably not going to keep with the orange wheels. Kind of prefer the original seat's but this one is SO comfortable both in position and padding that I doubt I will change it (I don't mind the look either but at 2 hours riding 5 days a week the original seat and position is hard work compared).

Comment

Originally posted by IronPawz View Post
                            Just a quick note to say I purchased this great machine from Katanakid and will update here on the rest of its journey over time. Presently it is getting geared up for certification. It is a great machine to ride. It is getting a minor shock mounting location adjustment first. There has been a little work on getting the carbies to shut off and not be quite as hard on the wrist. The bike is in primer and I'll be considering colour options over time. It is intended for high KM's commuting and open track days.

I love this bike it is a total dream come true. The exhaust is different from the images here so I will get some more recent pictures up over time. Probably not going to keep with the orange wheels. Kind of prefer the original seat's but this one is SO comfortable both in position and padding that I doubt I will change it (I don't mind the look either but at 2 hours riding 5 days a week the original seat and position is hard work compared).

Congratulations; I have never seen this thread before.

Comment

Congratulations for the first class job on you Kat!
                              It must have been quite a moment when you widened the rear loop of the Katana frame...
                              A doubt must have crept in your mind about the frame still beeing true after the operation?
                              sigpicJohn Kat
                              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                              GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Actually I just brought it from the Man so did it. Great guy certainly seemed to know what he is about. I've it in a shop having the shock mount changed a little for certification. I note the chain is VERY close to the body and also VERY close to the tire so it might need a chain conversion giving it is running the old original tank track and potentially a smaller wheel for cert (it is just touched about the edge from the chain likely only under certain conditions).

Still it came great to ride but should be better again shortly. It is all rough at present so needs a paint (tank is getting primer but yet to decide colours). I'll get some new images and details on updates soon. I understand the aluminium block has arrived at the machinists for the back shock upper mount now so should be soon (really like to get this out in the Kiwi summer that starts in 3 days).

Comment

Working...
                                X