Engine RPMS, 79 gs 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine RPMS, 79 gs 1000

After putting my harley wheel on my bike does 4k at 70mph, normal cruizing speed here... how is that to stock gearing?

Also, I may ride this thing to Phoenix, is 4K-5K RPM for an hour okay on this motor?

I have a stock 79 GS1000LN and at 70 mph I am turning just over 3800 RPM if that helps.

Comment

And it wil lrunb there as long as it gets fuel.
      All day, no problem.
      I've run almost 200 miles at between 80-100 for a couple of hours, no problems.
      Mine has 35K on it and still runs well.
      The 1100, same thing, just more vibes.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Those revs are a touch lower than standard gearing. The motor can sit on that all day, or higher. They were built to do this. My 78 GS1000 has 150,000kms on it and I would not think twice about it.

Comment

I consistantly run my 850 about 6K when out on the highway Thats 80+ mph Would think nothing of doing it for hours on end

Comment

About 4,000 rpm's at an indicated 70 mph, which is really closer to actually 65 mph.
            The GS1000 set a new 24 hour speed record when it came out. I don't remember the distance they covered, but they ran it 24 straight hours at a lot faster than 4-5,000 rpm's.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X