Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS850G Carb Rebuild and Jetting reccomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850G Carb Rebuild and Jetting reccomendations?

1982 GS850G

Purchased said bike last summer and doing some work.
    Overall in good shape, but carb rebuild is one of the few things needed to be done.

I have:

The previous owner gave me a ziploc bag of 8 pilot jets:
    4 x 40
    4 x 45.

I purchased 4 x Tour Max Carb Repair Kit #48-1974 off of eBay that is for this model/year bike.
    Air Jet: 180, 190
    Main Jet: 150
    Pilot Jet: 40

I have dissasembled 1 of the carbs and it contained:
    Air Jet: 175
    Main Jet: 115
    Pilot Jet: 42.5

If possible, I could purchase other parts if needed; but hopefully won't have to.

I have viewed the guide at: http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/jetting/default.htm

My bike has a 4 to 1 Vance Hines megaphone exhaust installed by previous owner.
    I'd probably like to install a K&N filter.

EDIT: Remove previous text on ColorTune product.
    Bike uses B8ES plugs; so I was thinking it was 8mm. I reality it is the B that is important and it's the 14mm kit that I need. So I will obtain the ColorTune kit.

pilot jet size?

I have a 82 850 and am in the middle of cleaning the carbs. I ordered rebuild kits and a complete set of o-rings off another link on this forum.
    So far I had to drill out 2 of my pilot jets and figure the other 2 wont be any easier, they are totally corroded inside the chamber.
    Is there any way you can determine the size thread from the ones in your stock. I figure I will need to rethread the holes in my carbs but I need the size of the threads. I don't know if it is Metric or Standard. If there is any way you can figure out the size of the threads on the pilot jet and get me that info, it would help me out a great deal. I know it is small like 3 or 4mm if metric. Otherwise I have no idea, there was nothing left to the ones I drilled, so I can't reference anything...
    Sorry I can't help you with your question, I only know what the original set up is for the carbs...

billrycraft@comcast.net

Thanks Bill

Comment

Yeah

I'll see what info I can get you. I was going to take some of the screws into the hardware shop and try to get replacements since I stripped them quite well.

I'll take some jets/etc and screw them into thier sizers to determine size for ya.

Comment

GREAT!!!!

Thank You, if I can't rethread these I am looking at replacing the carbs, not cheap and not easy to find...
        I appreciate it very much...
        THANKS BILL

Comment

All threads are metric,and could be metric fine.

Comment

IF I was you I would use the original jets The generic one can cause LOTS of tuning problems, because they are not correct

Comment

Working...
            X