TL 1000 forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TL 1000 forks

i have (apparently) some TL 1000 inverted forks that i thought were gsxr. are they the same as for the gsxr1000? (i'm told they are the same for the busa as well).

so here are my questions:
    - will these fit on my '81 gs 1100??? i have triple clamps and all...
    - will they be better than the 89 gsxr1100 forks i have on there now? (i'm told not, but since they're way more modern they might be)
    - will my gsxr brakes and wheels bolt on to it?
    - i dont have a fender for them, anyone giving one away?
    - they don't have a lower fork brace, is one needed?

advice? opinions? conjecture? insults?

keep'em coming....

It's probably safe to say the TL used the same fork as the GSXR. It should be way better than the '89. The only brace would be whatever is gained from the fender mount. I've seen some nice carbon fenders on Ebay for $59 but the guy nails you for $29.99 and says you may have to mod the fender to fit your application. You'll probably have to use SRAD or TL rotors and maybe calipers from the same. At least they can be had cheap. The wheel should work fine.

Comment

One other thing you are going to run into with the TL fork is roller bearings instead of tapered on the steering stem. You'll have to work around that. Easiest fix is an older triple with tapered bearings or use an older stem in the new triple.

Comment

you're exactly right on the bearings... rollers not tapers... i guess i can just use my '89 gsxr1100 steering stem on the new clamps right? i dunno if an older tripple will be able to hold the forks diameter wise, and i dont have one handy.

are you saying i dont need a lower fork brace with that setup?

Comment

Bert,
          I'm getting ready to switch my '88 front end to a '95. I'll be using a CBR 929/954 triple. It gives an extra inch of clearance vs. the Suzuki triple. Are your tubes 50 or 54mm? As for the brace mine has none and isn't needed.

Comment

Bert, I believe the stems in our older forks are just pressed in. I could go to the garage and check but I'm too lazy. When I got my fork all it had was the lower triple and it was missing the stem. I did mine back in about '92 so scrounging parts was a little tougher. It shouldn't be a problem finding a way to use your old stem.

Comment

yeah i heard about the honda triples, and i'd be looking for a set but i have no money so it's pointless.

while the tl 1000 forks are more modern, my 89 gsxr1100 have been fully rebuilt 3 years ago and havent been used since. mind you, the tl1000 forks were rebuilt too.
              i just dont know what to do anymore. maybe i should just try them on and see...

Comment

Interesting, so you can use the current GSX-R/TLR/Busa forks as long as you use an earlier triple with tapered bearings (and the best bet is the 929/954 unit)? Anybody know if there are major differences that would affect this being applied to an 82 750e? If not, I might start scrounging parts...

Comment

i think the tl1000 is closer to the busa. atleast the wheels are. i have had busa and gsxr1000 front ends and the brake caliper bolt pattern is different. i'm pretty sure the non usd and usd brake calipers are different. as far as steering stem the newer busa, tl and srad+ newer gsxr use a bigger top bearing. you cannot fit the smaller tappered bearing on this stem. use a hydraulic press and press off a stem from a gs triple (use care not to smash the threads or score it too badly). press down because there is a clip on the bottom you cant get off unless the stem is out. do the same with the late model triple. there is a .020" differance in diameter on the stems. get a feeler gauge (like a .006-.008) wrap it around the gs stem and install into your late model trees. make sure there is no side to side play with the feeler gauge installed. once you're done install you gs tappered bearing and use your gs hardware. i have a set of gold gsxr1000 forks on my gs1150

Comment

top is correct the bearings need some swappage, but i dont know about the steering stems...

i do however know that the brakes from my 89 gsxr1100 front end bolt right on and the disk spacing is also correct.
                    the wheel needs a bigger hub though.

Comment

Working...
                    X