Handlebars - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebars - any suggestions?

The '81 GS 450 I just bought has bent handlebars and they need to be replaced. I was thinking about putting a set of superbike bars on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on brands or sizes or what else might look and work nice??

Thanks in advance!

Steve

I had a pair of Tomasellis on my XS650, but as I recall they were a little expensive. I don't remember what I put on my 750, but I did have to cut them down as they were a little wide. The ones on my EZ came off of my ED, and I have no idea of their original origin. 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Well, reccomendations are difficult due to the fact that handlebars are the most intamte item on a bike, after the seat.

on a 550. I've seen people love hte stock bars. Superbike bars. Drag bars...

First timer uses drag bars on his 550. he's also 8" taller than me or something like that :-) With drag bars I felt a little to stretched out.

Superbike bars have some rise, and pullback. which puts the handlebars on the bike in a very, very natural position for me.

Another option are dirtbike handlebars. they tend to have less pullback, but you can get them in many heights. They are also signifigantly wider than most streetbike handlebars.

Probally the best question to ask you is... How tall are you? how fast do you ride normally? And do you feel like you want more leverage on your handlebars?

Lemmie get a reccomendation in here too. www.crc2onlinecatalog.com is the best place to order handlebars (and many other parts) that I've found.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Another choice to look at:

I have superbike bars on my 1100 and they work very well for me. Make sure you tinker with the final location of everything relating to the bars and controls. As I bought my bike, the bars were rotated quite a bit forward and were too far forward and too high for me. I have rotated them back probably 20 degrees and adjusted all the controls to suit my hands and it is much better now. It pays to spend a bit of time getting it all just right for your own preferences.

Mark

Comment

MY gs750 81 had drag bike style bars when I bought it, but there was not enough pull back and they killed my wrists on long rides. I just mounted the "daytona style" from Chaparral and they are great. $12.99!

Comment

I have a K&N Daytona bend on my bike and like it alot. K&N doesn't offer bars anymore but looks very similar to what Chaparral offers.

Comment

I had a set of the Daytona-looking K&N bars on an '82 GS750 and they were very comfortable, not too high, and not too low. Handled pretty good also. I'd buy another set if I needed them.

Comment

Working...
              X