Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing stock airbox on a '82 GS1000G

Hi,
    I'm a proud owner of a '82 GS1000G and has been since '96. A couple of years I replaced the original exhaust (killed by rust) with a Motad 4-1 that looks quite nice on this bike. The retailer said no re-jetting was required and he was right, the bike ran equally well after the change. In other words, no alteration has been made to fuel system other than a total clean-up and sync. a year later.

Now the original airbox sealings are totally worn out and the loss of power above 3K revs. are quite noticeable. I guess this has to do with a lean mixture due to the leaks in the air box. Recognizing that something had to be done, I purchased individual filters (mainly because it looks great). Their not K&N, but looks the same. After install, the bike idles well, but as soon as I turn the throttle nothing much happens. Applying choke helps, telling me the mixture is wrong.

Exactly what do I do? Can this be adjusted or do I need to re-jet?
    I don't know the sizes of the original jets. What would be the new sizes to go for?
    In addition to new jets, are there any adjustments on mixture screws and needles which should be done?
    Hope there is a clear advice so I don't have to buy a whole lot of jets and spend a week trying this out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here's the jetting info from the factory service manual.
    Main jet #115
    Main air jet 1.7
    Jet needle 5D50
    needle jet X-6
    pilot jet #40
    by pass 0.9,.08,.08
    pilot outlet 0.7
    valve seat 2.0
    starter jet 45

I'll let the experts give you detailed advice on what to do next.

Terry

PS: Did you consider replacing the airbox to carb boots? They're still available new.

Comment

Working...
    X