Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move the oil cooler? Heat shield?

'83 GS750ES/EF depending on the day.

I'm starting to put my bike back together now that I've got the frame refinished and I've been thinking about the oil cooler since I took it off...

Would it do any good to space it out 3/4in or so from its mounting bracket? It looks like there is very little open space behind it so I was thinking of using longer bolts and spacers to move it out 1/2-3/4in for, I hope, better cooling.

I also have some stainless steel sheeting and I was thinking of making a small heat shield to block a little of the radiant heat from the header.

Any of this worth doing? I don't know much about the daily life of a running GS yet but these were things I thought about as I was stripping it down.

Thanks!
    Dan

If you space it out you have to watch for interferance with the front fender when the forks are fully compressed. Same thing with a heat shield.

Comment

Spacing it - maybe, maybe not a useful thing. Hard to know without some aero testing to see how the airflow is. I would bet it's a good idea, though.

Heat shield - definitely a good idea. Your header will show color (>900F) when you are running it hard and that heats things up a LOT. A shield would drop the cooler body temp a significant amount.

Mark

Comment

My oil cooler had absolutely zero affect on my oil temps. I keep it there for looks. :?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks for the input!

I'll see what it looks like when things are going back together but I'm pretty sure I'll space it out...and I'm sure I'll add a heat shield. As long as things clearn the fender and EF fairing I should be all set....even it its only for looks!

I'm hoping to be on the road in about two weeks. (!!)

/\/\ac

Comment

airflow

I think you would block airflow to the engine,using a heat shield.

Comment

Re: airflow

Originally posted by gke84
              I think you would block airflow to the engine,using a heat shield.

That would be my concern, also preventing proper airflow thru the cooler itself. If heat is a problem, go with a twin row cooler like an Earl's, or modify a later model cooler to fit.

If you are running stock displacement and compression, your oil temps should run around 210 degrees when running the bike hard. I have 45,000 very hard miles on my '83750ED in various engine configurations. I did not run into any heat problems until using a 802cc block with 11.25-1 compression on the street. All of my summer riding has been is in the South and dealing with 90F+ temps.

The stock cooler will not work with my current 816cc build, I plan to use either a late model Katana cooler or a twin row Earl's.

Good Luck, Ed.

1983 GS750ED
              2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                My oil cooler had absolutely zero affect on my oil temps. I keep it there for looks. :?
                i INSTALLED ONE AND FIGURED THE CLOSENESS of the original setups made them quite a joke so i left some space.

iT WAS SO EFFICIENT THAT I HAD TO INSTALL A VALVE TO RESTRICT THE FLOW IN COOLER MONTHS.

Free caps again.

Comment

Working...
                X