Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern forks questions- major roadblock on my project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am posting this on every motorcycle site I am a member of- some info needed badly! Read carefully! LOL

Okay- talked to forking by frank today- and they can not lengthen the 94 ZX10 or 91 GSX 600 F Katana forks that I have right now- the metal is too thin wall for them to make new tubes! S0- I need to find new tubes I can run-

Let me explain what I am doing first-

I am building a 75 Z1 B 900 Chopper/hot bike hybird project, and I have the neck raked about 8 degrees, and I need close to six inches longer forks. The neck is already converted to a ZX 10 neck stem and bearings.

I want to run the 91 GSX F 600 Katana rims.

I want the thicker modern forks as opposed the 70s and early 80s skinnier forks. For instance, the 75 Z1 fork tube is 36mm and the GSX and the ZX10 is 41mm.

Okay- I hope you guys are with me so far!

Now, Forking by frank is compiling a list of late model forks that CAN be lengthened for me to call about on monday.

Here is my questions:

1) Will a newer fork help me handle better than an older fork- is the technology that much better, or am I doing this just for looks?

2) Is it a possibility to mix and match rims and forks- I don't mind building brake caliper brackets- dont' worry about brakes- but as far as bolting the wheel and axls to a different set of forks/triple trees. If so- what is the important dimensions and parts I need to have it fit?

I am hoping he (forking by frank) comes up with a list of sport bike fork tubes he can lengthen from Kawi and Suzuk that will help me out!

3) Anyone know off hand Suzuk or Kawasaki later model sport bikes that have had forks lengthened?

Hope you guys can help me out- and you know what- I am REALLY interested about which site gives me the most information and the most accurate information LOL

1) Will a newer fork help me handle better than an older fork- is the technology that much better, or am I doing this just for looks?
    Well, this is curious - you rake it 8 degrees and are using +6" forks and you're worried about handling?

Anyway, the bigger forks are going to be on the order of 40-50% stiffer, which will be noticeable under hard cornering and heavy braking loads. All the forks you mention are damper rod forks and will offer similar performance if properly set up. However, the bigger forks are easier to get Race Tech cartridge emulators and proper springs for. That will make a huge difference to the performance of the fork. You should also use a fork brace if you are worried about flex in that long fork. Use one anyways, it always helps things, no matter what...

2) Is it a possibility to mix and match rims and forks- I don't mind building brake caliper brackets- dont' worry about brakes- but as far as bolting the wheel and axls to a different set of forks/triple trees. If so- what is the important dimensions and parts I need to have it fit?
    Certainly can mix and match to your heart's content. You may have to make new axles and spacers, but those are not that hard and then almost anything can be made to fit anything else... From the sound of your project, that is where you will be at.

3) Anyone know off hand Suzuk or Kawasaki later model sport bikes that have had forks lengthened?
    I know they (Forking By Frank) will lengthen late 90's GSXR USD forks, but not by how much. And USD forks might look goofy on your bike with the raked front end.

Good Luck,
    Mark

Comment

Actually, I talked to the machinist today at forking by Frank, and they say they DO NOT lengthen USD forks at this time, but are working on it.

Comment

Actually, I talked to the machinist today at forking by Frank, and they say they DO NOT lengthen USD forks at this time, but are working on it.
        My mistake. They said they can lengthen up to 43mm tubes (I think it was) and I assumed they do the 43mm USD forks that are very common on later model sport bikes. I guess it is only the conventional forks they do, then. I was looking for longer tubes for a 99 GSXR600 fork, which is 45mm diameter but they do not handle that big of a tube. Or at least they didn't at the time.

Mark

Comment

I understand that it will not be in super-bike territory for handling- but let's discuss WHY a OCC type chopper handles like a garbage scow in a heavy current-

1) Too much trail- some over six inches of positive trail! - mine will be 4.6 inches- same as most modern super bikes

2) Springer front ends with no brakes- obviously, not going that route LOL-

3) 45 degrees of rake- I have around 35 degrees + or - a degree or two- very close to some of the power cruisers that handle very, very good. Not ZX12 good, but very good still- not embarrasing at least LOL

4) Long wheel bases- Mine is a total of about 10 inches longer than stock, not super long by any means

5) hard tail rear sections- I am running a GS 1100 E swing arm with 160 tire on the back- not ugly fat like the "usual suspect" with thier 390 tires LOL- and brand new sporty shorty shocks, totally adjustable.

I won't be going racing any modern 600 ninjas or anything- but I will be able to easily keep up with the new cruisers, even the pretty top end ones!

So you say they will lengthen which forks again? Man, you got me all excited here- if it is 43 MM that is what I am looking for!

Comment

Working...
          X