It runs! Gs550/650 Top end swap w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It runs! Gs550/650 Top end swap w/pics

Well guy's... It's done. I have successfully took a gs650 shafty, and swapped the top end, including the pistons and cylinders, onto my gs550 chain drive motor.

This project took 2 full days, working at a slow tedious pace. I ended up pulling the motor to just make things easier.

Bought the 650 motor off ebay for $5. It was somewhat local. Compression before starting was 155 across the board.
    Bought a gasket kit off ebay for $50.
    Bought new piston's wrist clips through bike bandit for $8.
    Bought a used set of carbs off ebay for $60 shipped.

Used alot of engine build lube, and took my time. There is grinding to be done on the block, but it's soft aluminum and it was just tedious. That took me a few hours. There's hardly any to grind, but i wanted a smooth fitment. All i have left to acquire is a exhaust. Found out the hard way that the 550 exhaust will not fit the 650 head!

It runs, and idles like a kitten. Trying to track down a 650 exhaust, so haven't rode it. But can't wait. Another guy on this board did this swap, Neobro, and he helped me a ton. It wasn't easy, and this was my first time ever even cracking open a valve cover, let alone taking it down the the crank.

I hope that other 550 riders that see this and want 14 more HP and 124 more CC's will be able to follow in Neobro's and I's footsteps.

Enjoy the pic, i'll have more up later.

Here you can see both engines on their stand. 650 on the left. My empty frame in the background.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

More pictures:

Here's the cams of the 650. (you can barely see the 550's in the background)

650 engine

Here's the pistons. You can obviously see the 650's are bigger.

Here's me grinding with the trusty dremel. Notice all the rags stuffed in the crankcase.

Comment

Very interesting.

The 550's carbs don't work?
      What is the problem with the old exhaust? Header heigth?

Congratulations on a successful job!

Comment

The carbs are the correct body's and everything. Instead of ordering a jet kit and researching to find out what jets i need, i just decided to run it all stock, and picked up those carbs. Just a little bit easier. But you can use the 550 carbs, just have to rejet.

The 550 header "fits" but the header holes on the 650 block are a larger diameter than the 550's. The header it's self is loose in the holes. The distance between the holes are fine, they just don't seal. I ratcheted the bolts down to see if i could get them to work temporarily, but it still sounded like a harley on steroids.

Comment

One other question: How did you handle the endless cam chain? Could you find a master link? I was under the impression they couldn't be reassembled once taken apart.

OK two questions.:? :-D

Comment

i was really worried about that too, until i drew it out on paper.

You use the stock 550 camshaft sprocket, and the 550 crankshaft sprocket. So you naturally just use the cam chain from the 550. Don't have to break it. Had no problems timing the engine. Just followed the book.

That's what both of us did. Neobro was the one who advised me on it.

Comment

YEY, someone else has done it! :-)

The 650 carbs have heavier springs in them so there will be more vacuum as well. I think this leads to a more progressive feel, though slightly less horsepower all told.

I understand brveagle will running with the airbox, so using the 650 carbs straight up should be just fine.

As for the differences between the 550 and 650 carbs. They have different air jets, pilot jets, main jets, needles, springs.............. So short of the actuall carb bodies they dont' share much.

In my case, to save more trouble... I went ahead and put the dynojet stage 3 kit on mine.

Brv: your exahust problem is becuase you need new exhaust gaskets. The outlets on the 550 and 650 are the same. the gaskets are $8 on ebay. Pick up a set. And.. it's neRobro. As in Brother of Nero. Neo came... some 20 years after nero did.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Great job! You got any plans for those 550 carbs?

Comment

Now... who wants to try putting gsf650 parts on a 550 bottom end? I'm SO tempted.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
                    Now... who wants to try putting gsf650 parts on a 550 bottom end? I'm SO tempted.
                    Do it! Do it!
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

can someone post the pics of the bike again? i would really like to do the swap and yes the war sucks, but can we have the swap pics back? thank you, have a good day

Comment

This thread had been dead for 16 years. I'm not seeing any pictures that were in those posts. brveagle hasn't been active since June 2021.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread, but here's a link to when I converted my 550 with lots of pics (several threads to the finished product too).

BikeTech7: Suzuki GS550E — 673 Conversion.
                          1996 GSF1200 — Pretty Much Standard.
                          1983 GSX750ES — Cafe Racer Project
                          1980 GS550E — 673 Conversion.
                          1980 GS400 — Cafe Racer???

http://biketech7.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Suzuki_Don had a pretty involved writeup after his initial 673 build. The title of the write-up was more of a troubleshooting thing trying to figure out a noise after the swap, which led him to discover the deck heights were different and a 650 top end on a 550 required thicker head gasket or thicker base gasket, otherwise the Piston will be tapping the head slightly, especially at higher RPMs when the engine is warmed up.
                            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Gs550lkid View Post
                              can someone post the pics of the bike again? i would really like to do the swap and yes the war sucks, but can we have the swap pics back? thank you, have a good day
                              I .. believe I lost my images. I'll see what I can find. The pictures aren't a lot of help honestly. "the parts fit" You need to relieve the case a little so it will sit.

Comment

Working...
                              X