No announcement yet.

81 GS1100E mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnafluxing - good point. I didn't ask them, I just assumed they would do it prior to assembly. Magnefluxing is prettty easy to do - I used to do it myself when I worked in a machine shop. It just involves a magnetic field and some fine ferrite powder. I'm not sure what they would charge for it, but I can't imagine it being costly.

The quote that I posted was assuming all components of the crankshaft assembly are usable.

I also got a quote on a competition valve job for $240. That seems very reasonalbe to me, as the local yokals want $300. This was just labor, no guides, seals, or unusable parts replacement.

Comment

Check out the 1100 on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
        Magnafluxing - good point. I didn't ask them, I just assumed they would do it prior to assembly. Magnefluxing is prettty easy to do - I used to do it myself when I worked in a machine shop. It just involves a magnetic field and some fine ferrite powder. I'm not sure what they would charge for it, but I can't imagine it being costly.

The quote that I posted was assuming all components of the crankshaft assembly are usable.

I also got a quote on a competition valve job for $240. That seems very reasonalbe to me, as the local yokals want $300. This was just labor, no guides, seals, or unusable parts replacement.
        All i was concerned wit was the possibility of you having t go for a bundle for parts that they condemn. I lost my first clutch basket to falicon that way

Comment

A few more thoughts about straight cut gears:

1) The reason they are more reliable in high stress applications is because 100% of the energy transmitted from the crankshaft gear is applied to the clutch hub gear in the rotational direction. Helical gears, used by the OEM because they are quieter, transfer most of their force in the rotational direction but also some in the lateral direction. This latter force is what seperates the backing plates from the rivets and generates all of the metal chip supon failure.

2) A measurable power gain is realized with the straight cut gears since there is no energy lost to the lateral motion mentioned above. I think this is in the neighborhood of 1-3% but don't know for sure. Anyone that's realized this gain please comment for the rest of us.

Reliability is the primary reason for this modification, but the extra power is a nice plus as well. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I don't have any firsthand experience - yet - but your analysis of the forces involved was dead on.

Comment

Do the straight cut gears in a GS make as much noise as an import car that is driving in reverse? Or how about like a V8 that has had straight cut timing gears put in? I assume it would be the same kind of noise but at 10,000 RPM I'm guessing the GS would be pretty loud.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

I've had straight cut gear conversions done on several drag motors and never noticed a sound difference. Didn't measure before and after but my ear didn't hear any difference. I believe the quieter primary drive allowed the factory to be a little less restrictive with the intake and/or exhaust systems while still meeting EPA and CARB standards, but I don't have any specifics here.

Comment

Benney, you will also have to replace the valve guilds to shorter ones and sink the valves .040 deeper in the head and get a set of extended adjuster screws for the rocker arms to run those cams If you use the parts you got and follow the suggestions from Massakins you will have a very nice motor

Comment

I have bought a 1134cc kit Dennis Kirk has overbore kits on ebay cheap. It is 2mm overbore I have talked to a local shop and they said they could bore out my block as needed. I guess there will be no other mods I need to do the put this on the bike? What about the cams will they work ok with this size motor or are they too much. If I use them where can I get the shorter vavles and adjuster screws? Also I the 1261 kit is for sale it comes with block and sleeves intstalled and 2 sets of pistons.

Comment

Working...
                    X