Stock Gs1100 Forks ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Gs1100 Forks ?

I wanted to mount a Gsxr wheel on my 1982 GS1100E . but I was looking to keep my stock forks and trees will it work? I picked up a 5.5 rear rim
    AND wanted to have the front match + I would like to run a set of drag bars
    and stock controls

thanks

I did that with an older 1150 I had a few years back. But with a Katana 3 spoke and rotors.

If you use the GSXR 3 spokes you will have to have a collar made to reduce the size down to work with your smaller GS axle

If you use a Katana 3 spokes it will work easier, without needing the collar but you will still need the speedo drive and possibly a spacer cut. The pic was over 10 years ago and I cant recall if on the GS1150 if I had a bracket made so I could use the 6-pistons or not (sorry)

Either way it can be done . . . just takes patience and a little creativity
    Maybe Katman can chime in when he gets a minute
    Good Luck
    Mike

Comment

Damn . . . I miss that bike ! ! !

Comment

Katman or billyricks are the guys to ask.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=91604
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

THANKS FOR THE REPLY , do you rember what year Katana ( 3 spokes )
          and was it a 17" rim???

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERT G
            THANKS FOR THE REPLY , do you rember what year Katana ( 3 spokes )
            and was it a 17" rim???
            I BELIEVE any of the Katana years will work. Mine may have been 1993 stuff
            After 2000 I believe they went with a "stright spoke" design instead of the "directionals"
            so be careful if you bid on seperate auctions that they are the same type

I believe the axle size your looking for is 17mm, but do your homework
            The GSXR stuff is like 20mm

You may want to also do some reaserch with the

Bandit 600
            RF 600

They SHOULD be 17mm fronts as well and you may catch someone sleeping
            on the price. The should also have 17 x 4.5 rear wheels.

Bandit 1200
            RF 900
            will be 5.5 inch rear wheels BUT THE FRONT WILL BE TOO LARGE (20mm)

Good Luck

Comment

I was wondering will a 88 1100 GSXR front fit my 1982 gs1100???
              the guy also has a 89 gsxr front wheel if I want will it bolt to the forks ???
              thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERT G
                I was wondering will a 88 1100 GSXR front fit my 1982 gs1100???
                the guy also has a 89 gsxr front wheel if I want will it bolt to the forks ???
                thanks
                This thread has some helpful info attached to it

Will the front wheel be a direct bolt on and go?
                I don't think so, you will have to get a matching speedo drive and possibly have a new spacer cut for the opposite side. The GS1100 and 1150 wagon wheels are 'WIDE' and this space will have to be made up if using GSXR or Katana items. Then you will have to space the brake calipers 'inward' more as well. This stuff is not mission impossible, just detail you will have to consider when you start your project:

The size of the axle?
                The size of the front brake rotors?
                Will my GS rotors bolt up to the new front wheel?
                Will my calipers work or wil I have to upgrade them as well?
                Since I may need to upgrade my calipers will I also have to upgrade my brake lines?
                Matching Speedo drive?
                Spacer for differece on oppoiste side?

Your front rim should be 17mm (measure it when you get a chance). Almost all Katana front rims are 17mm so that would be the path of least reisitance. I am almost positive that the 1986-1988 GSXR stuff is 17mm (BUT ASK BEFORE YOU BID SO YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF CHANGES YOU GOING TO BE UP AGAINST IN ADVANCE)

With a little work and creativity you can set up almost any kind of upgrade on your GS, you just have to have the resources to help out with the details.

Or you could just pay Katman the $$$ and he'll set you up with a ready-go-upgrade.

Good Luck and try not to blow a gasket (ha ha)
                Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Dude, it's an all or nothing deal. You can make a GSXR front wheel fit into your forks but you'll have to make custom spacers and caliper mounts. One little error on those measurements and you're back to the drawing board. Make a complete GSXR front end swap and it's all over with. You'll spend less money in the end and it's a bolt in deal. No machining, no welding, and you've got lots of guys on the website who've done this conversion to get advice from. Don't make life harder than it needs to be.

Comment

Don't use the '88 front end, it's the shortest of all the gixxer front ends.

Comment

Ya I see what you guys are getting at:shock: . Now I have hunt down a GSXR front end I have been hunting on ebay NO luck yet
                      Is there any othere sites were I could find a gsxr front end ???

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                        Don't use the '88 front end, it's the shortest of all the gixxer front ends.

Billy,

You are referring to the '88 gsxr750 front end, correct? I recall stating (in different, but similar thread)I was doing the same swap, and you seemed to think an 1100 swap was alright, since 1100 forks were longer???

Mike
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086
                          Billy,

You are referring to the '88 gsxr750 front end, correct? I recall stating (in different, but similar thread)I was doing the same swap, and you seemed to think an 1100 swap was alright, since 1100 forks were longer???

Mike
                          Yes, the '88 1100 fork was the same as the two prior years with the electric anti-dive. If I were you I would be looking for something newer. I have a '95 USD fork I'll be using on mine as soon as the last few things I need trickle in.

Comment

I FOUND A GUY ABOUT 30MILES FROM ME WHO IS PARTING OUT A GSXR\\/ and I will be picking up the complet front end +rear 5.5 wheel :-D
                            I feel he gave a fair price. I was shopping and it kinda hard finding a complet
                            frontend , 93-95 gsxr 750 front end and rear rim 5.5

Comment

Working...
                            X