• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will a stock gs1000 run in the ? mile

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDan1
      What will a stock gs1000 run in the ? mile
      Depending on the riders ability to "launch" the bike I have seen them run in the mid eleven second range. for a first timer you will probably run around 11.85 to 12.2 range.

Comment

I've seen 140 on my stock gs1000e but i think my clock is reading out by a fair bit at high speed. I did keep up with my dad's laverda 650 sport( bloody fast a v. sexy) but had to chicken out at 120 due to wind blast. jeff

Comment

need info for future mods !!!!!!!!!

moded 81 gs1100e : complete stock engine /tranny but : jetted stg 3 mikuni's, k&n pods, barnett hd clutch and springs, gsxr 750 '89 front end and stock swingarm with gsxr 750 '89 rear 4.5" wide, progressive hd fork springs and rear hd springs & shocks (nice handling)

Question : what is the follow up to mod the engine : bore, porting, carbs??, cams (need lift duration and degreeing), pistons size ?

I do not drag race but I do street race and I WANT TO KICK SOME BUTT OF THOSE IGNORANT ARROGANT GSXR750 1000 AND YAM R6 R1 RIDERS (so i need bhp at rear around 150-165 HP) ? pls help

to MASSAKINS thanks for the trouble ...pls still look for those little things i asked ...i decided to go with the new V&H pipe from MAWonline.com thanks

thank you all

Comment

Simple horsepower out of a GS engine is easy
            1. Degree cams, 106 seems to be prefered, dont forget adjustable cam sprockets.
            2. Full dyna ignition, I mean full pickup coils the lot.
            3. Manual camchain tensioner, dont add much HP 8O , but great for reliablity.
            4. Mikuni flat slides of a GSXR 38mm seems to be prefered.
            if that aint enough you now need to think Big-Bore, flowed heads, and cams.
            Dink

Comment

cbxchris

I no longer have either of these bikes but I had a kosman chassis pro mod that ran 7.31 184 in the quarter at Atlanta on boost only....we used to run bracket races with a 7.60 dial in at Rockingham and could go under with less than 20 pounds of boost. It had the best of everything...hahn pipes,,big rayjay with super mod housing...huge S&S...4 speed at the race...sometimes a three speed...11inch slick...as good as that sounds I remember we were almost 3 tenths off top qualifier! Thats whay I quit...no matter what I spent someone else always had deeper pockets or more excess to equipment I could only dream about. Hope this one qualifies as a GS....had a hayabusa that made 219 and some change on a super flow dyno ...all natural...no boost...no nitrous...stock wheel base...never even attempted to take it to the strip. That engine ended up in a midget up north. I almost forgot on the pro mod we had it set up for nitrous and ran it local on quick 8 races...run what ya brung...it would run 4,60 in a 1/8 mile...BTW all these times were 5 years ago...they are flying now.

Comment

Re: cbxchris

Originally posted by cbxchris
                Thats whay I quit...no matter what I spent someone else always had deeper pockets or more excess to equipment I could only dream about.
                I can relate to that, when I drag-raced my GS here in UK I built my own chassis, and made a lot of parts myself because I simply could not afford to buy the bits. Bear it in mind that nearly all the "good" parts came from USA & shops here were (and still are!) making a lot of profit out of racers.
                But as guys recognised that they could "buy" speed & performance a lot of the fun went out of the sport.
                You used to be able to borrow anything from anyone, just for a thank you, but when serious money started being spent/invested a lot of the camaradie disappeared.
                I can understand it, I suppose if you had just spent around ?15,000+ on an engine set up, you don't want everyone looking at your secrets. But it p----s me off that those guys use to borrow fuel/nitrous/tools/parts of you.

Comment

Paul same here to a degree. The main thing eveyone is very secretive about is the fuel setup. I had a 5 gallon bucket full of smoked pistons until I got my act together. I sure didn`t like them for the street or natrual aspirated bikes due to thier wieght but Arias pistons were the best pistons I ever used. For my application they were better even than cosworth or J&E. The hayabusa I mentioned did have J&E`s.

Comment

With my 82 550L with a Mac 4-1, K&N's, and Dynomax stage 3 kit, my first run was a less-than-inspirational 16.222 @ 83.44mph. Removing the exhaust baffle took me down to 15.640 @ 84.48, and raising the needles and tweaking my technique netted my best thus far of 15.198 @ 89.19 mph. I think with more carb tweaking and adjusting the suspension, I can hit mid-14's by the end of the season, but that was all I had time for at last week's test-n-tune. For up-to-the-minute info about my racing efforts, go to www.wantlandracing.com

Comment

I wish I could get in on this topic, but I am still blessed with the 85 mph speedo on my 1980 GS1100. Does anyone offer a kit or is there a similar speedo that would fit in my instrument panel? As we all know, even a stock GS1100 junks the 85 mph speedo leaving second gear!

Tom Chamberlin

Comment

On my 81 GS1100E I used a gauge set off a GS850 not sure of the year though. It goes up to 140. Most of the connectors fit had to do a little rewiring. It bolted right up without a problem. It does not have a fuel gauge though. The stock one never did work right anyway.

Comment

how bout an 1100gl? anyone ever run one of these?

Comment

how bout an 1100gl? anyone ever run one of these?

Comment

Finally, this years edition of my old -83 1100esd has been introduced to the road. From the bottom: Threw out my HD clutchsprings and got a lockup clutch instead. Not a year to soon, now my fingers really enjoy the lever.... Further the cylinders got the regular 1168cc with JE pistons, the head has to this year been stage 2 ported and the valves has been replaced with stainless 28,5mm inlets(27mm stock) and 24,5mm outlets(23mm stock). It has been milled down a little giving me a comp.ratio at app. 10,7:1. I still use the stock cams(for you guys that is, in Sweden we call them "export-cams" since we have original restricted ones). The fuel is supplied by a set of Mikuni RS36 with oval pods and the exhausts is transported through a Vance-Hines Supersport 4-1(very loud).
                              The bike is now smoother in character than before and I haven?t lost any bottom torque as could be expected bu the porting and bigger valves. It feels less restricted now So I dont have any problems running around town at 2000rpm. And when the throttles go wide open it wheelies on second and pulls very hard to redline on every gear, even fifth :twisted: I havent yet tested the bike in the dyno but it will be interesting....So next year? Hmmm, maybe new, hotter cams? Like my fathers previous -81 1100 that pulls powerwheelies in third gear doing 65mph, and that with "only" 1168cc....

Comment

My 1988 Superbike-an 83 GS750ED- 802cc (69.4x53 using 1982 GS1000SZ Katana pistons) 11.25-1 compression , Cammotion stage 3 cams (.355@272) set at 110 degrees, Comp. 3 angle valve job w/Megacycle springs, Accell ignition w/V+H 5 degree adv., Mikuni 34 flatslides w/V+H pod filters and V+H Comp. exhaust. App. 420lbs and 110 bhp = powerband 7,500-10,000 rpm and 3rd gear power wheelies at 90 mph. Bike would absolutely blow the side covers off any stock GPZ900 or CBR1000. Only problem-where do you get 112 octane race gas? Slightly milder rebuild in progress, still should be lots of fun. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Working...
                                X